About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Who makes the best wicking socks?

9:48 p.m. on November 23, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Hey guys / gals,

I am currently using Wigwam wicking socks, however I find the toe seam a little annoying, not bad, but noticeable.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

8:11 a.m. on November 24, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

I use Smartwool (hiking, running, skiing, and/or casual varieties) every day. I don't even notice or think about them, the ultimate compliment.

I also have a few hiking and running pairs by Teko (that's what I'm wearing right now) and a bunch of running socks from Under Armour. I prefer the Smartwool or Teko socks to the Under Armour ones though.

Someday I will try a pair by Injinji (the toe sock people), but haven't justified the expense yet.

7:17 p.m. on November 24, 2009 (EST)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts
Re: Who makes good liner socks?

Alicia,

I changed the subject line to reflect what I was asking a little better, it wasn't clear.

Specifically I would like to get some liner socks that are more comfortable, I just can't stand a toe seam that I can feel.

I have several pair of Wigwam brand wool hiking and liner socks & several pair of Smartwool hiking socks.

I don't like the toe seam in the Wigwam liner socks.

Any suggestions would be helpful

6:57 a.m. on November 25, 2009 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Woolpower get a very good rep among the hikers I know.

http://www.woolpower.se/en/asp/produkter_3.asp

10:36 a.m. on November 25, 2009 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

turn the original pair inside out. when the seam is on the outside, it will be less noticeable.

10:46 a.m. on November 25, 2009 (EST)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Woolpower get a very good rep among the hikers I know.

http://www.woolpower.se/en/asp/produkter_3.asp

Thomas, I went to their website, entered my location to find a local distributor, and viola, they are in Summerville SC, about 10 miles from my house. I will definitely check them out!

Small world!

10:47 a.m. on November 25, 2009 (EST)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

turn the original pair inside out. when the seam is on the outside, it will be less noticeable.

HaHa, neat trick but I am trying to find socks with no seam at all.

12:49 p.m. on November 25, 2009 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

I actually use some cycling socks by Louie Garneau (sp?) I too get very annoyed with the seams, and the cycling socks that I use are very flat and very thin. I usually pair them up with some Smartwool or Patagonia Heavyweight socks for winter. On milder temps I use the Wigwam Trail Mix Fusion Merinos

6:48 p.m. on November 25, 2009 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I don't want to sound negative but I don't like liner socks...but it's only me.

It sound as you do like to use them so I'll suggest the Injinji thinking it will work out well. I have one pair that I use walking/running around town and I found them to be very comfortable and the idea behind them sound right - separating the toes should help a lot with sweat and blisters. I have a very light coolmax pair.

8:12 p.m. on November 25, 2009 (EST)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I wear Under Armor mid-calf liner socks and they have been stellar. I've never been bothered by the seam (is there one on those?). Two other notes, I have worn them for a week straight, on several occasions and they havent showed signs of wear despite years of owning them. Also, even being thin, I have hiked with them without a secondary sock and avoided blisters. I attribute that mostly to my boots fitting well though.

8:43 p.m. on November 27, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Ah ha. After I posted I wondered if we were really talking about sock liners.

Personally, I don't use them. I have a couple pairs I bought years ago from an outdoor retailer. I can't recall which brand they are, but I've never found them to make a difference with my feet, provided I'm wearing decent boots/shoes and good quality hiking socks.

I'm sure there are better liners out there, but now I just skip using any 99% of the time. Maybe I should give another brand a try, but if it isn't broken...

10:48 p.m. on November 28, 2009 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,006 forum posts

I've been very happy with REI hiker socks; they're very thick, and have a smooth toe design which vents well and does not bunch up. They're very well made socks.

11:01 p.m. on December 25, 2009 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Me and my wife have bought 'Rocky' brand hiking socks with wool. They are the best socks for the money we have bought. They are very warm and function very well. Here in southwest okla we do not have any outdoor stores that sell outdoor gear exclusively except Academy and they dont have that much.

11:46 a.m. on December 29, 2009 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

Patagonia makes capilene liners that are OK but high maintenance. They don't do well in the clothes dryer and at some point don't end up wicking as much. I haven't had a problem with the toe seams, but you would have to try them out.

3:28 p.m. on December 29, 2009 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
Re: Who makes good liner socks?

Try a thin synthetic sock as a liner sock. I personally use your everyday dress sock and they are cheap. It has many benefits. It also cuts down on the friction caused by your boots which in turn eliminates blistering. Put the dress sock etc. on 1st and whatever you plan on wearing on top of this. I also get my boots(Asolo 500s & 520s) a half size larger to accommodate for the swelling of my feet and doubling my sock on long hauls. I have been doing it for years. This system works great for me. I even know people who use the panty-hose material type footies. They are thin and work basically the same way. Hope this helps.

Oh one more thought. If the seam bothers you on the above suggestions try turning them inside out. It may not totally eliminate the problem but I am sure it could alleviate it quite a bit. At the same time the protection aspect will not be hindered. Happy hiking.

4:10 p.m. on December 29, 2009 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Seamless socks(sorry I didn't see the previous post on the "inside out" method") The Danner thermolites are nice.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=seamless%20liner%20socks&FORM=Z8RE&p1=%5bCommerceService+scenario%3d%22f%22%5d&wf=Commerce

6:39 p.m. on December 30, 2009 (EST)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Thanks for the tips guys!

I'm going to order some stuff after Jan. 1st, wicking socks are on the list.

3:48 p.m. on December 31, 2009 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

for what it's worth, i just spent a while walking in the snow - the patagonia liners i'm wearing have a seam, but they are on the bottom, under the toes. no seam on the top. hadn't noticed that before. check it out for yourself.

11:17 p.m. on January 2, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,006 forum posts

I also go with the standard wool Injinji sock as a liner under those SC omni-wool light hikers. Fits well under most footwear, wicks well, and provides good underfoot cushioning, for me at least.

12:12 p.m. on January 3, 2010 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I keep hearing about injinji socks. I am not familiar with them. I love having happy feet so I may have to give them a shot. No problems with the system I use but it could always be better.

12:41 p.m. on January 3, 2010 (EST)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

The Injinji socks I looked at yesterday had individual toes sewn in.

Who else uses socks like that? Are they comfortable? Do you think the extra material takes up space in the boot?

5:14 p.m. on January 3, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,006 forum posts

I can't feel any seam when I'm wearing my Injinji's; I'm sure it's there, but I can't feel it. They take up a bit of noticeable forefoot volume, but this is welcome for me, as I have narrow feet all around.I find them very comfortable, and these combined with a pair or superfeet orange's allow me to wear foot wear I would have trouble with otherwise.

If your shoes are not overly tight in the forefoot area while wearing liners and a hiking sock, the Injinji will not make so much of a difference that your shoes won't fit comfortably.

7:44 a.m. on January 11, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

In case anyone missed it, you can now review outdoor socks on Trailspace: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/socks/

Liner Socks
Hiking/Backpacking Socks
Running Socks
Snowsport Socks
Waterproof Socks

If your favorite outdoor brand isn't listed, you can submit a review anyway, and we'll add it to the site.

9:44 p.m. on February 11, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

I have found The best liner Wicking socks. And I am a firm beliver now in Natural fibers. Silk is the best for wiking, followed by Wool. and the have natural antimicrobial properties.

First up: REI silk....

http://www.rei.com/product/627663

Second: Smart wool hiker liner

https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm#/Mens/Socks/PerformanceSocks/_/246/

Both of these are liner socks and are thin and feel good under your main socks.

I actually use the REI liners alone sometimes on light day hikes in my New balance trail runners.

9:30 p.m. on February 13, 2010 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

I have it on good authority that the BEST warmest cold weather socks are knitted from the under fur of sled dogs. I have a friend in the Republic of Komi in arctic Russian who lives near the Barents sea in the town of Ita, where she lives with and has adopted most of the winter ways of the reindeer people known as the Komi.

Jim

1:02 a.m. on February 14, 2010 (EST)
282 reviewer rep
273 forum posts

The summer socks I like the best are ThorLo Hikers. They have some wool and a lot of acrylic yarn and besides being comfortable with terry cloth inner soles they are also long lasting.

That said I always use thin poly pro socks as liners to prevent blisters and calluses. (calli?) :)

Eric

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply