daypack/backpack

5:57 a.m. on November 29, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

Hello,

would you req this : http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline/packs-and-duffles/pro-pack/product for backpacking or daypacking. Anyone know anything about the actual product/quality.

8:47 a.m. on November 29, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

We've used similar packs to transport rope rescue equipment, but not camping gear. They're great quality for their intended use. I wouldn't use them for "dry land" packing. They're made from heavily coated nylon. Your back will sweat like crazy. Also, when compared to regular packs of the same volume, the Sealine packs are quite heavy.

9:10 a.m. on November 29, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Just to expand on f_klock's point: Sealline is a canoeing/paddling brand, with gear targeting the specific requirements of water travel -- notably the emphasis on waterproof containers.

Most dayhikes or backpacking outings wouldn't require this level of watertightness -- which sounds good in principle but introduces a host of problems in practice.

I recall Bill Bryson being amazed that backpacks were not waterproof and required the purchase of a separate waterproof pack cover. Actually there are very few waterproof packs on the market -- perhaps the veteran gear buyers on the forum can address why this is; I don't consider myself much of an authority.

4:46 p.m. on November 29, 2009 (EST)
6 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I own a Mountain Pro 40 by Exped this is a waterproof pack-seam sealed/roll top closure -it is intended for alpine use and was designed as such and for this it works well- but used in summer/spring you sweat like crazy despite there being a "back pad".

I would use a standard pack plus a good liner &/or cover

7:23 p.m. on November 29, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

Thanks, I figured this was for canoeing only but wasn't 100 percent sure. You have any good alternative packs you like for 1-2 day hikes?

7:57 p.m. on November 29, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

For overnighters, packs are much like shoes: it comes down to fit.

I've had good luck with Gregory packs; Ospreys are well-designed but don't fit everybody.

Main thing for 1- to 2-day outings: don't get carried way with carry capacity -- you shouldn't need over 3,000 cubic inches (just under 50 liters). A pack this size should be able to carry up to 30 pounds if it has an internal frame.

Ultralighters -- who know what they're doing -- can get by fine with a 1500 cubic inch day pack but I've found that the camp comfort compromises required to get your pack that light take a lot of fun out of the outing.

Best thing to do: go to your local outfitter, have them put 25 to 30 pounds of weight in the pack and wear it around the store for awhile. Bad fits are immediately apparent.

8:33 p.m. on November 29, 2009 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

For me the Gregory packs dont fit well but the Osprey are like a glove.So packs are a lot like boots...what works for does not for another.Go out and try on as many as you can and dont load them with those sand bags at the store but take your gear with you,or purchase the one that "feels" the best to you and take it home and load your gear and see how it feels.Make shure it can be returned if you dont do an actual trip with it and by all means go for a very long walk with it with varying terrain.Packs ride very different when loaded with real gear as opposed to sand filled bags.

3:57 a.m. on December 1, 2009 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

I recently recommended Klattermusen for waterproof backpacks. Basically I had something very similar to the drybag you linked to, it's a great cheap drybag, but for hiking with? no way! They have no support, no ventilation and are very formless and saggy and uncomfortable.

They are designed to be carried to a kayak, put in a kayak and that's pretty much it.

The klattermusen backpacks are all very waterproof, but are not taped. So they lie somewhere between a dry bag and a 'normal' backpack. Then there is also a waterproof sack line built-in, which divides the main compartment in two. You can remove this and use it as a separate dry bag which is nice.

But I'm not sure it's even needed, I've had the rucksack out in some atrocious wet weather, and the gear outside the dry-bag section was as dry as the stuff in there. I guess it is more to protect against actual submersion, like unlucky river-crossing attempts.

8:31 a.m. on December 1, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Note: as near as I can tell Klattermusen gear is not available in the U.S. unless you order from a European retailer.

2:19 a.m. on December 2, 2009 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Note: as near as I can tell Klattermusen gear is not available in the U.S. unless you order from a European retailer.

That's a pity, they really have ridiculously high build quality, although that is reflected in their price.

8:37 p.m. on December 2, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I would also look at Granite Gear packs. Fairly lightweight, depending on the model and seem to be well made. I've only tried on a few, but they fit me well. I had a big Arctery'x Bora 80 and got rid of it after one trip. Just didn't fit right and was really heavy.

I now have an old Kelty. Not a great pack, but light and reasonably well made.

10:39 p.m. on December 2, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,271 forum posts

I'm with skiman - Osprey packs fit me just fine, but I have never been able to get a Gregory to fit right.

TomM,

The main reasons that backpackers do not buy waterproof packs is that (1) they weigh significantly more than a water-repellent pack of the same capacity, and (2) you don't really need waterproof anyway - water repellent is adequate. For many decades (before I started backpacking, so maybe for at least a century ;=D), people were taught to pack everything separately in plastic bags (or earlier, oilskins). That way, even if the pack gets dumped during a river crossing, the contents stay reasonably dry. We also were taught to use wool clothing, not cotton - cotton loses all insulation value and takes forever to dry, while wool will retain some insulating quality (modern synthetics are even better). You can also use a big garbage bag, but the individual bags are better, since when you are searching for something and digging stuff out of the pack, the big bag has a big opening to let the rain in, while the individual bags keep all the individual items dry.

With modern drybags, such as OR, Granite Gear, and others make, you can get nylon-based dry bags that are as light as plastic garbage bags in all sizes from the equivalent of a quart-sized ziplock up to a 30 gallon size. Or you can use ziplock freezer bags up to 3 or 4 gallon size.

Used to be, hikers wore ponchos that went over the pack as well as the hiker. Plus the old dependable pack cover - pack up your gear in the tent before getting out into the rain or snow, then pack the tent quickly, so only the fly is wet (and it goes on the outside of the pack).

Also, in the "old days", we used to have just one pack for backpacking, plus maybe a small one for day hikes. So why carry the extra hunnert pounds for those rare occasions when you needed a really waterproof pack? Plus, I'm not sure packmakers could build genuinely waterproof packs years ago - you didn't have the modern materials that are light and truly waterproof.

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply