7:20 p.m. on December 16, 2009 (EST)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

I thought this article was interesting.

North Face and South Butt

3:23 p.m. on February 4, 2010 (EST)
5 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

The South Butt has answered The North Face. The legal response is long, but well worth reading:

http://www.scribd.com/The-South-Butt-Answer-to-the-North-Face/d/24815507

7:01 p.m. on February 4, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

...never stop relaxing.

3:48 a.m. on February 5, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Uggggggg....

4:40 a.m. on February 5, 2010 (EST)
202 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Haha. I hate how outdoor brands are a fashion now. It's really sad that a jacket that could have been used in the backcountry and had a great life is now living out the remainder of it's days on the back of some sorority skank.

11:10 a.m. on February 5, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

What'ya mean? Every middle school NEEDS a TNF mounainerring jacket to survive public school!

1:44 p.m. on February 5, 2010 (EST)
202 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

What'ya mean? Every middle school NEEDS a TNF mounainerring jacket to survive public school!

HAHAHA! Sorry, my mistake.

1:00 a.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

REopening this debate and hopefully posing a relevant question...

I personally believe in owning as few articles of clothing as possible, in the whole reduce-your-contribution-to-the-waste-stream sort-or way, so naturally, I try to make my "everyday" clothes also function as my "outdoor" clothes. Now, when I show up to class, as I do every nearly every day, in a either an Orange Patagonia R2 or a Lime Green R1, just because these garments also happen to be the most functional pieces I own in defense against the day's weather, I can surely see how it can look like I'm merely following a trend. I suppose if I thought these types of things mattered I might get a bit apprehensive, but wearing these garments to class saves me the trip home when I want to head outdoors directly after class.

Now granted, Patagonia is not North Face, but they sure do have a spiffy new lineup of garments...

I suppose I sit on my butt just as good as anyone--actually, I'm sure I'm at least just as good at sitting as anyone I know--and so, in class, as I slouch, take sparse notes, and try to silently pass wind, am I propagating the "South Butt" philosophy?

9:48 a.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

i say good for this kid and i don't think you guys should be upset about high school and college kids wearing the clothes. it gets a little cold in the north east and i know my girlfriend has a north face denali jacket because it is warm, which in my opinion is better than freezing. its like liking a band and then getting mad at people because they listen to it. be happy that you did it first.

10:12 a.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
202 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

REopening this debate and hopefully posing a relevant question...

I personally believe in owning as few articles of clothing as possible, in the whole reduce-your-contribution-to-the-waste-stream sort-or way, so naturally, I try to make my "everyday" clothes also function as my "outdoor" clothes. Now, when I show up to class, as I do every nearly every day, in a either an Orange Patagonia R2 or a Lime Green R1, just because these garments also happen to be the most functional pieces I own in defense against the day's weather, I can surely see how it can look like I'm merely following a trend. I suppose if I thought these types of things mattered I might get a bit apprehensive, but wearing these garments to class saves me the trip home when I want to head outdoors directly after class.

Now granted, Patagonia is not North Face, but they sure do have a spiffy new lineup of garments...

I suppose I sit on my butt just as good as anyone--actually, I'm sure I'm at least just as good at sitting as anyone I know--and so, in class, as I slouch, take sparse notes, and try to silently pass wind, am I propagating the "South Butt" philosophy?

I would say no. The difference between what you're doing and what the majority of college students that wear "trendy" outdoor clothing is that you bought it for functionality and they bought it for fashion. Sure there are people that would argue with you and say that they bought a Denali jacket because it's warm but that argument is extremely weak. There are so many jackets out there that cost considerably less than Denali jackets and are just as warm if not warmer than the Denali jackets. So why did they spend $160 when $60 could have been plenty?

I know how you feel though. During the winter months I layer up nearly everyday wearing several articles of clothing that I use mainly for backpacking. I bought them with the intended purpose of layering on cold trips. They work great for that purpose so I wear them a lot. I also bought them because the companies that make them make exceptional gear and have great warranties on their products. I doubt many Denali jacket wearing college students could tell you squat about the warranties on their beloved jackets. Also, I can't stand many TNF products because they've become more of a fashion brand. That's why most of my clothing purchases have been Mountain Hardwear or Patagonia. It's a little depressing that more increasingly I walk around campus and I'll see a girl wearing some jacket from Mountain Hardwear. Something that eases my mind is asking them what kind of jacket it is and having them say, "Um. I don't know."

11:29 a.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

I count how many times I see Denali jackets around Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, and within a span of 10 minutes, 30 jackets can be counted passing a certain point--at least as of last week. They even have fashion versions now, with the embroidery in pink, and pink trim.

They look stunning with a pair of road-salt-stained Ugg Boots.

(Is the intended sarcasm well conveyed?)

6:56 a.m. on February 17, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Too each is own... Life will proceed to establish itself regardless of what one feels....

5:29 a.m. on February 23, 2010 (EST)
202 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

I count how many times I see Denali jackets around Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, and within a span of 10 minutes, 30 jackets can be counted passing a certain point--at least as of last week. They even have fashion versions now, with the embroidery in pink, and pink trim.

They look stunning with a pair of road-salt-stained Ugg Boots.

(Is the intended sarcasm well conveyed?)

Hahaha. The only thing I dislike more than a Denali Jacket is a pair of UGG boots but, that seems to be the fashion here at the University of Kansas as well...

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply