What stove to bring snowshoeing??

2:34 p.m. on January 8, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

I am fairly new to snowshoeing just been with my parents as i have grown up, now im able to go out with my brother or friends but i find my jetboil takes a decent amount of time to heat up water. i know that it is because of the fuel that it takes but i am unsure what other stoves to look into for use when in the snow and higher elevations.

help is greatly appreciated

3:22 p.m. on January 8, 2010 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

For snow melting i prefer white gas.Burns hoter and better in the cold than gaz cartridges.If you keep the cartridge warm they do work ok.For snow camping or touring were a stove is needed i use the MSR Whisperlite or GK,older one.The Gk is loud but it shure melts snow.There are many stoves on the market and everybody has their own preference,just like packs and boots, so remember everyones idea of the "best" is what has worked for them.If you can try several out before making a purchase.Read reviews and talk with those that have winter experiance camping or touring.Good luck and enjoy the winter!

3:33 p.m. on January 8, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Choosing a stove is one of the most talked about topics on this or any other camping forum. Do a search and you should find plenty of info and suggestions.

Generally speaking, canister stoves like the Jetboil do not work well in cold weather below around 10F-20F because the gas won't vaporize below those temps. I've used my Primus Micron at about 20-30F at 7600ft and it seems to work fine, but colder than that, I wouldn't count on it.

Most people carry a white gas stove of some kind in winter. They are harder to use because it takes more steps to get one fired up, but they will work better in colder conditions than a canister stove. There are several good brands that make many different models. MSR, Primus, Optimus and Coleman are a few. I have probably left a few off the list. I own an Optimus Nova, which is a good winter stove.

4:13 p.m. on January 8, 2010 (EST)
18 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

One option is to go with a canister stove that can be inverted. There are a few companies that make some nice options. This type of stove has the fuel heats up the fuel line, allowing the gas to vaporize in low temperatures. Colmen Xtreme powermax is a good example. There are others.

I use the MSR Wind Pro. Note the Wind Pro is not specificly designed for this per the manufacturer, but it works. I would suggest going with one that is specificaly designed for this application.

5:56 p.m. on January 8, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

alright sweet, ill look into those, and do some searches around the forums for what others have said

7:32 p.m. on January 11, 2010 (EST)
493 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Love my multifuel MSR Dragonfly for winter. Lowest simmering white gas stove I've seen. A bit heavy but utterly reliable. An MSR Simmerlite would be my 2nd choice.

11:01 p.m. on January 20, 2010 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

When using a stove on snow, be sure to use a non heat-conductive base such as a 8 inch (or so) square of wall panelling or some such.

Melting the stove down into the snow and dumping the food or water is not fun.

1:30 p.m. on February 3, 2010 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
70 forum posts

i use a simmerlite by msr for winter has been a great winter stove for me.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply