Alps Mountaineering Tents

11:21 p.m. on January 15, 2010 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Hello,

What are everyones opinions on Alps tents. They seem very basic, but in a good practical way. No extra bells and whistles, which I like. How is the construction, and how do they hold up?

12:52 p.m. on January 17, 2010 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Really, No one uses these tents? Any input would be helpful, bad or good.

3:52 p.m. on January 17, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Oops, hit the button twice.

4:01 p.m. on January 17, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

I have not used an Alps Mountaineering tent, I have looked the specs over and read reviews.

I tend to think (without using one) that these tents are decent tents, but on the heavy side in their respective class- lightweight, backpacking etc. Of the tents I looked at, the weight is due to the fact that they are double walled tents utilizing a multi - pass urethane coating to waterproof them. That's not a bad thing, but fabrics like Sil-nylon are lighter, (cost more) and single walled tents are going to be lighter.

I personally prefer double walled tents for the ventilation, the design allows you to unzip all the panels in the inner tent while the fly (or outer) keeps the rain out. This works good in the region I backpack in because we have sub tropic conditions, many people who backpack in dryer regions prefer single walled tents. Having said that, tents are getting more and more sophisticated all the time with new fabrics and designs, there are several single wall designs that are supposed to ventilate well.

I don't fully understand why they have a lightweight class & a backpacking class. Do you fly in with the lightweight tents? I don't get it.

The Extreme 2.0 or 3.0 pole design look a lot like my MH Skyview, which is the three pole design consisting of a twin cross pole plus a single hoop. It has two doors and two vestibules and appears to have a design that would offer good ventilation.

Here are some reviews:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/alps-mountaineering/extreme-2/

Sorry I can't give you any definitive answers, maybe the brand just hasn't caught on yet.

Maybe some of the other members can add something on this brand.

7:09 p.m. on January 17, 2010 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Trouthunter,

Thanks for the reply. I think another reason that they are a little heavier is because most of the inner tent body is a solid material, rather than mesh. I actually like this feature for WI camping because I would like to keep a bit more heat in the tent at night. I just think that a all mesh tent would be too cool at night. I am definetly willing to sacrafice one more pound for a tent with more material than mesh on the inner tent. I figure I can just open the fly a bit more or leave it open at night if it were too hot.(as long as its not raining) I should mention that as of right now I do not plan on doing any winter camping though.

I like the Extreme 3, Taurus3, and Meramac3 designs from Alps. I am also liking the Eureka Mountain Pass 3XTE and maybe the new Scenic Pass 3XTE I have been seeing on ebay. I really like the extra pole on the Mountain Pass to give more room in the vestibule. I currently have 2 eureka tents and am pleased with them for sure but, I do like the Alps designs also.

9:49 p.m. on January 17, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

A friend of mine swears by his Extreme 2.0, a copy of the originally Moss designed Stardome 2. This is an extremely sturdy design capable of supporting heavy snow loads. My friend Scott has been using his tent extensively for almost 3 years with no leaks, broken poles, blown seams or failures of any kind at all. Suffice it to say, for the price paid, a great tent.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply