About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

women's winter daypack - - am i asking too much?? :)

7:07 a.m. on January 17, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I am looking for a good women's specific day backpack, to be used on a skiing trip to Wyoming in a couple months. I think a women's specific pack is the way to go, especially given my well-endowed frame (eh-hem. . .). Although there seem to be so many more men's options out there. . . i'm not sure what the general consensus is on women specific packs?? Also, I don't necessarily need a backcountry ski backpack per se, as much as I need a day pack for when I snowshoe Yellowstone & Grand Tetons (single day jaunts). I would like something that will hold trekking poles and a hydration bladder, and have a spot I can easily stow or strap my snowshoes to. I've also heard that for winter sports, a pack with an insulated bladder pocket (to prevent freezing) is optimum. Not sure if this is necessary in Wyoming?? Oh, and I'd like to use this backpack as my flight "carry-on", as well. So, it should be as large as possible (hopefully to accommodate my snowboard boots for the plane ride along with some clothes), yet not exceed the airline's carry-on baggage size limitation of 45" (L + W + H). Am I asking too much??? My online research has produced a few options within my very limited budget (some I've found in clearance at steep discount): Mammut Adina, Mountainsmith LOLA, Mountainsmith Ivy & REI Traverse. Tt's so hard to discern scale, quality etc. . . from photos on the internet, so any feedback or further suggestions would be SO helpful!!!

8:39 a.m. on January 17, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Here's a list of womens' winter packs in our Gear Guide.

The Deuter Pace 28 SL is in the size range of the carry-on limits; doesn't appear to have an insulated hydration hose sleeve, though. (you might have more flexibility with one of these insulator kits from Platypus anyway ).

3:23 p.m. on January 17, 2010 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,252 forum posts

Gregory makes packs specifically for women, and a few of their packs appear to be on clearance at various place - good for the budget. Look at the Jade 50. The Gregory Targhee is a unisex pack, smaller than the Jade, but designed to carry skis, also on clearance. I seriously considered and tried on a Targhee for skiing. nice pack.

7:14 p.m. on January 17, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

tommangan: the gear guide list of women's winterpacks is a great composite guide. . thanks! and i have looked into the deuter pace 28. looks good, but might be limited access from the front?

leadbelly2550: ha! i actually own the gregory jade50, and i use it for backpacking/multi day trips. i do like it, but it's a lil' big for the airplane, and the HUGE singular inner compartment is not all that easily accessed. i like the idea of having some front access. but i will def check out the targhee. thx!

4:23 p.m. on January 18, 2010 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,252 forum posts

this isn't a budget option, but Mystery Ranch's packs of this size can (1) be customized to different shoulder harness and waist belt sizes, which may help the fit issue, and (2) have awesome front access via a three-zipper setup. i have one of their large backpacks, so i know the construction, materials, and comfort in terms of carrying weight are outstanding. liked the big one enough to order a snapdragon that's 2300 cubic inches - still waiting them to build it.

5:50 p.m. on January 18, 2010 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Skully

While I DO have one pack with a bladder that I bought for my wife at REI, neither one of us has ever used it. In fact I have never used a water bladder. It takes up too much room in the pack, is fussy, and I worry about leakage. As far as Accessibility ; what all will be in a day pack that makes accessibility a problem? I almost always use single compartment rucksack type day packs and backpacks. The rain gear goes on top, the jacket under that, the food under that and a water bottle goes inside on the side. A top pocket is nice for you keys, flashlight, lighter, etc. and a sit pad goes under the pocket flap. Simple - cheap -

Jim S

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply