Backpack Fishing

8:29 p.m. on January 20, 2010 (EST)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Anyone know of any good collapsible fishing poles that can fit in a backpack? I have been using an Eagle Claw "Pack It", but the quality is substandard and I have had issues with them.

9:25 p.m. on January 20, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

Daiwa makes a 5 segment spinning rig (one segment is just the handle) about 5-1/2', with a MINISPIN S 500T reel that can handle 100 yards of 4 lb mono. Works well enough for torpedo-level-fly-fishing and small spinners where it's legal to use 'em. Don't know what it weighs and I don't care. Toys should never be counted as pack weight.

As for performance, well, I've never had a problem and I've slain quite a few panfish and trout with it, but it's not for larger fish, just eatin' fish.

Drake

9:34 p.m. on January 20, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

A good one? Sorry but no. The tips break easily, the action is horrific...it's all in the tip, the reels are barely functional and loud.

A rough or loud reel is a problem when retrieving in small quiet streams or even medium gradient (faster) streams.

You didn't ask, but I prefer 4-5 piece rods with a decent reel. It really does make a difference.

Here is an example:

From the Cabela's website:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20287&id=0075047125127a&navCount=1&podId=0075047&parentId=cat20287&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

What a link!

9:45 p.m. on January 20, 2010 (EST)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Thanks guys I will look into them...

2:04 a.m. on January 21, 2010 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Cabela's (see their online caalog) has a fairly inexpensive carbon fiber TELESCOPING fishing rod. I have one and it's much faster to deploy than my 5 piece take-apart spin/fly rod. plus it's lighter as well.

Cabels's telescoping CF rod is the best quality I've seen so far. Don't like Bass Pro Shop's telescoping cheapie.

Eric

9:29 a.m. on January 21, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I think TroutHunter just made me buy a new rod & reel ;)

12:21 p.m. on January 21, 2010 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

I use and love my Shimano Exage collapsible. Its 7' feet long but collapses to about 20" and it comes with a hard case as well. I agree with Trouthunter on the cheaper ones, the tips are really bad. The difference with the Exage is the last segment of rod is a full 10" or so instead of only a couple. The second last eyelet actually slides up and snugs itself in place roughly 5-6" from the tip, a much better design. The new versions of this rod are 5pc, I have an older one. I use it with my light Quantum spinning reel with 6lb fluorocarbon line and I can land some decent fish with tis setup. You can get an idea of the size of it in the pic.

5:31 p.m. on January 21, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I haven't used the Exage, if it's truly better I'm glad!

I like fluorocarbon also MOJO.

11:25 a.m. on January 23, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

I've got a couple four-piece fly rods I'll pack in a tube, and am happy to pack along a good reel and a mini-kit of flies, etc. if I'm gonna fish. It's a little extra weight, perhaps, but not much, really. And I don't end up standing in a stream cursing my gear.

OTOH, and advantage of the above, for me, is that I've found that memories travel along with specific bits of gear used in makin' 'em. (The memories, that is.) Plus, itallows me to rationalize spending a little more on the rig if it's one that's going everywhere, instead of only being hauled out on sunny Tuesdays in May when Mars and the moon are in conjunction, or some such.

Besides, if toys don't count as pack weight, why worry 'bout it?

12:13 p.m. on January 23, 2010 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I will never give up my 30 year old Eagle Claw Denco Super II. It has served me well all these years and I will use it as long as I can. No trout is safe.

I have used up four reels and the pole is still like new.

12:51 p.m. on January 23, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
64 forum posts

Yeah, I have a Garcia Conolon pack rod about that old. I found it in a thrift store inside its soft leather case,never been used. I think I paid 3.00 for it. Breaks down to 22".The people I hike with think I'm too "old school" but their 200.00 Loomis rods don't seem to catch as many fish.Ha!

2:47 p.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I have an Osprey hiker 6' breaks down in 3 sections. Came with a tube case that straps to the pack easly. The case also has a built in tackle box. Came with a Quantum XL00s3 reel. I like it lots.

11:29 p.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

Don't forget Emmrod!

I know, it looks odd, but trust me, it's amazing. As I've mentioned a time or three, the accuracy is stunning, it's unbreakable, it packs down to less one foot long and it can take any reel you feel like. Trust me! I've got one and will never take any other rod into the bush again.

Peace!

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply