FYI: Mountain Hardwear, Warranty Department Down

10:45 a.m. on January 22, 2010 (EST)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I recently broke a pole on my Mountain Hardwear Trango. No worries though, my understanding is that MH repairs or replaces 4-season tent poles free of charge. Unfortunately, the warranty department isn't accepting messages via email or telephone! Understaffed they say.

I like the handful of Mountain Hardwear products I have, but this really grinds my gears. Let me know if anyone has had any luck getting in touch with them. I have tried expressing my concern through Customer Service, but have not heard back from them.

11:45 a.m. on January 22, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

In the early days they were really on top of things from my experiences with them, they even answered some newbie questions of mine.

Things seem to be different lately, I have E-mailed them three times lately, with no response. Their website states that due to the volume of mail they receive they may not be able to answer E-mails directly.

As tipi walter pointed out in a recent thread, MH seems to be hemorrhaging tent designs, I think so as well, I guess their has been a lot of innovation lately with fabrics and such.

I have stayed in quite a few of their tents, and I still think that, design wise, the earlier models were very functional. Heavier, but great design.

They need to find a way to get back to the basics maybe. But unhappy customers will not help their business for sure!

8:25 p.m. on January 22, 2010 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,290 forum posts

their warranty info is linked:

http://mountainhardwear.com/WarrantyInfo.aspx

they have a limited lifetime warranty. pls update as you proceed. i haven't had a gear failure with MH other than normal wear & tear (gaiter straps under the boots) but would think twice about them if this continues to be an issue. they were acquired by Columbia six years ago, so they are part of a monster sportswear company now.

say what you want about North Face, but they stand by their lifetime warranty. i returned a 10 year old goretex shell when the seam tape delaminated - new shell, no questions asked. same with patagonia - had an expedition-weight wool baselayer get an unexpected tear in the sleeve after three years of use. the shirt was pilled and worn, but it shouldn't have torn where it did. they replaced the shirt.

11:13 a.m. on January 23, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

I'm disappointed to hear that MH may be dropping the ball re: customer service.

My experience with their gear is generally good, though limited. I've never slept in one of their bags, for instance, and only once or twice in a MH tent, though I know lots of folks who love their MH tents, etc.

Best o' luck with the warranty communications, etc. Please let us know how it turns out.

11:14 a.m. on January 23, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Oh, and +1 re: TNF warranty service.

11:37 a.m. on January 25, 2010 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

november '09 i had a cracked pole on my hammerhead 2

i emailed them and had a response back in 2 days with all instructions on how to send back. it took them 3 weeks to repair / replace my pole, but got it done with limited hassles.

hope that service level isn't gone????

1:21 p.m. on January 25, 2010 (EST)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Update: So I called Mountain Hardwear today. I guess they were "accepting calls" again. I spoke with a real person right away and he was helpful and courteous. My part should be sent out by day's end.

Hopefully, this was just MH getting caught really short handed for a few weeks. They say this is their busiest time of year.

I will report if I have any further problems, but it seems that all is well.

4:04 p.m. on January 25, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Good to hear,

How do you like your Trango?

I have:

The older Skyview 2.....3-4 season convertible, it has four poles, great vestibule, double entry, good ventilation with the panels zipped out.

The Sprite 1 solo...... I like the L shape design, all mesh inner since I hike in the southeast, but too early to have an opinion other than it should meet my needs down to 20F for solo trips.

11:48 a.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Yeah, its a great tent. If I am honest, I believe that the pole connector (the female connector between pole sections) broke because I did not have the pole inserted all of the way. It still had enough integrity to not really be a concern, though we were above treeline, so it would have been nice if it had been 100%.

I really don't have anything enlightening to say about it if you have read up on it. It is a real strong tent at the cost of weight (11 lbs I believe (Trango 2)). There is a cool "pitch light" footprint that can be had for around $30 and it allows you to just pitch the fly. I have not figured out exactly how much weight that saves.

I was in the Adirondacks this summer and used it because my cheapie summer tent died. In warmer weather you can really regulate temp with the doors and fly, but its obviously hot for nights near 70 degrees. During this trip we got hit with a pretty nasty thunderstorm, we were told 40 mph winds and the tent was perfect: steady, quiet (in terms of wind and flapping) and dry. People camped in a near by lean-to said it shook at times from the wind.

4:48 p.m. on February 1, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I too broke my tent pole. From a skyview 3. I got the same message that the warranty department is understaffed and not taking any warranty calls right now. I have a local bussiness and there is no way I would get away with that. Besides, isn't the unemployment rate like at a 10 year high?

I had a great experience with their warranty 3 or 4 years ago, but not this time.

I agree North Face warranty is a lot better. They don't even require an RA, just mail it in. I had a problem with the bite valve on a North Face hydration Pack, called them and they said yes, they had heard that and sent me a couple instead of one.

I hope Mountain Hardware is reading these, because right now I say stay away from them.

5:16 p.m. on February 1, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

UPDATE: Sent an email to see what would happen and it came back that they were not taking emails at this time. I guess I have nothing better to do than just keep trying. As a business man, I would pull someone off the production line and put them answering the phones in warranty. I am not going to keep producing stuff I can't warranty. But again, I have to sleep at night and look at my customers everyday.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply