Marmot Men's Zeus Jacket

2:35 p.m. on February 7, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Does anyone have any experience or opinion on the Marmot Men's Zeus Jacket? Found it at a very good price ($80) but I'm concerned with durability. The shell is Polyster DWR Bantam Ripstop 1.1 oz/yd and I'm afrid it would get shredded on the trail.

Link to Marmot

http://marmot.com/fall_2009/mens/outerwear/insulated/zeus_jacket

2:03 a.m. on February 8, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Nevermind the Marmot I found a deal on a Patagonia that made me happy.

http://www.o2gearshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=7399

12:12 a.m. on February 14, 2010 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

I own one and really like it. Light, comfortable, 800 fill down and packs pretty small. I usually wear it under a light shell or even under a wool jacket.

It does seem to be a bit fragile, I also own the Zeus vest and snagged it on some bushes while doing yard work and had to get it repaired. But if you compare it to similiar jackets like the Nitrus by MH or the Downlight by First Ascent (Eddie Bauer) their all pretty similiar materials wise...

But for $80.00 it's a great deal...

12:36 a.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Hey Buffdaddy, I see your profile picture is the ol' camel rock; I'm in Carbondale, in Forestry at SIU; do you live near the area?

3:32 p.m. on February 16, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

My patagonia sweater came last week and if it's as warm as the reviews I'm going to love it for three season hiking.

10:26 a.m. on February 18, 2010 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

No but I am a fellow Salukis alum. Spent quite a few weekends at Giant City and Garden of the Gods.

Try to get down there every couple years for hiking and camping. IMHO the most beautiful area of Illinois.....

10:34 a.m. on February 18, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Wow, with me that makes 3 Salukis in the same thread (I was editor of the Daily Egyptian in the fall of 1986).

OK, back to the discussion at hand.

Gary C: Is that one of the Patagonia down sweaters? I'd like to know how they hold up wearing a pack -- seems like the sweat/compression would have issues.

11:24 a.m. on February 18, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Tom, it is a sweater and very light. As you can tell by the beginning of this thread durabitlity is a concern of mine also. The materiel of the Patagonia is a little heavier than what's listed for the Marmot so I'm hoping it will hold up. I'll try to remember to to post a review after I get a few trips in this summer. If you go to the Patagonia site they have 158 reviews and a 5 star rating.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply