Input on UV water treatment

4:53 p.m. on February 13, 2010 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I would appreciate it if those of you out there who use a UV pen in the field to purify water could tell me about all of the pros, cons and any other information in regards to their use. Thanks!

D

12:52 a.m. on February 14, 2010 (EST)
508 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I have a SteriPen Adventurer that uses camera batteries. BUT... I'd now opt for a UV pen that uses AA batteries, like my Garmin GPS. That way I would only have to carry one type of spare batteries for both.

I got the SteriPen for FAST water purification. Prufication is not to be confused with mere filtering out the big bacteria, as most water filters do. I use the UV pen for my bike bottle, where I carry my electrolyte drink. And I use Katadyn MicroPur chlorine dioxide tablets for my hydration bag in the evening, so it has time to work overnight. It also cleans the hose and mouthpiece.

(BTW, Iodine does NOT kill all bacteria and viruses, chlorine dioxide does.)

Eric

3:37 p.m. on February 18, 2010 (EST)
13 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I've used the Steripen Adventurer primarily for cold weather applications with as many as 3 in the group. When it's cold enough to freeze drinking tubes I typically shift to Nalgene bottles for carrying water, so using a Steripen is a natural extension of doing so. The effectiveness of chemical treatment can be "attenuated" by colder temperatures and, of course, filters can freeze-up if not handled properly. In comparison, UV is UV regardless of temperature and it's relative effectiveness remains unchanged. It will kill or "neuter" whatever is in the water that could ail you. The steripens, although heavier than chlorine dioxide tabs or even a bottle of Polar Pure, are much lighter than a filter, even with a spare pair of batteries.

6:28 p.m. on February 18, 2010 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Batteries,batteries and more batteries.Between camera,gps,steri pen and headlamp the weight in batteries begins to overtake the feeling of going lite to me.Depending on were you live but in the pacific nw during winter camping i never worry about the water and there are many articles,including one by our own Bill S,that state that many problems people have are due to lack of personnel habits,lack of washing hands mostly.If i do carry a water filter iam not shure i would trust one that needs batteries in winter cold.ymmv but there is a lot of debate on this one.Please do a surch of the forums here for more info.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply