Mtn Hardware tents/backpacks

4:28 p.m. on February 24, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

does any one have experience with the MH skyledge 2.1 tent or viperine 2 ?

looking for a 2 man lightweight tent.

If you want the best internal frame backpack choose a badlands.

www.badlandspacks.com

the 4500 is the best with lifetime warranty. it doesn't get any better.

5:32 p.m. on February 24, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,389 forum posts

The company's name is Mountain Hardwear, not Mountain Hardware (an all to frequent misspelling).

The Skyledge is lighter, if you want the lightest possible. Otherwise the two are about equal, if you are doing backpacking/camping in which the all-mesh construction is what you want and you are not going to be subjected to windy conditions. Be aware that in dusty conditions or heavy winds during rainshowers, the dust or rain will get blown under the fly and into the tent, as is true for any of the ultra-fashionable mostly-mesh tents. You would definitely not want to use either of these in conditions where you would encounter snow (especially blowing snow).

The Skyledge is 27.5 sq ft with two 11 sq ft vestibules vs the Viperine at 25 sq ft with a single 10 sq ft vestibule. You trade a lower weight for a smaller interior and less than half the vestibule, but for one person this isn't a significant difference. For a thru-hiker (which your question about Badlands packs indicates you definitely are not), the lower weight of the Viperine would make the difference.

MH has a well-deserved reputation for high quality gear and good customer service.

Badlands packs are very much hunter-oriented and as such lack many important features that backpackers, climbers, thru-hikers, and backcountry skiers need. Besides which they are all "camo" (including the "snow camo" versions).

5:48 p.m. on February 24, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, tman.

If you haven't seen them already, there is a review of the Mountain Hardwear SkyLedge 2.1:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/skyledge-2.1/

and six reviews of the Viperine 2:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/viperine-2/

5:49 p.m. on February 24, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

yes badlands packs are hunter oriented. Thats what i do. hunt!

they happen to be the best pack for that and overall backpacking in my opinion. I like the camo and I don't need a name brand logo on my pack. TNF or MH etc.

you can stuff all you need in it for a week at a national park or stuff a hind quarter, cape and more meat from a big horn sheep, mule deer on a hunt. tie the head and horns to the top. they are very comfortable with up to 100 lb loads. been there done that!

thanks for the Mtn hardware tent info.

the skyledge looks like a good one with more vestibule space for my badlands pack!

will do several solo 25+ milers this summer in alpine backcountry. montana comes to mind. where the sheep and mule deer live.

5:52 p.m. on February 24, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

thanks. Got em. any experience with MSR tents? Hubba hubba HP looks good too and may be warmer and won't let dust or snow in if its windy.

the MH tents have alot of mesh. I guess for summer packing they'd be ok.

9:39 a.m. on February 25, 2010 (EST)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

Tman, do you represent Badlands in any way? I've never heard of them before now.

11:48 a.m. on February 25, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

absolutely not. i hadn't heard of them either until about a year ago. They are out of Utah and I needed a quality (lifetime warranty) pack for camping and hunting. the 4500ci fit my needs with budget and expectations of a quality company. Eberlestock is another good one, but geared more toward the hunter.

what i'm saying is that there are alot more packs out there besides what you see at your local retail camping, canoe and outdoor store.

Believe me I've looked at all the packs out there A-Z.

Badlands says if it breaks (you can read it online) send it back for whatever reason and we'll fix it free for the lifetime of the pack. don't know of many companies who can stand behind a product like this. and who ever said BL was a hunting only pack either doesn't know what they are talking about or has never researched them.

I had a large 7200 c.i. external frame that was just too heavy for extended trips to backcountry and wasn't all that comfortable. I needed something as strong, but lighter and found this through research and traveling and talking to others.

the suspension system is great, ergonomics fit your back/torso and I just can't believe you'll find a better pack. if you do buy it.

I didn't. good luck.

1:31 p.m. on February 25, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Osprey packs offers pretty much the same warranty just not in camo. I as well hunt(alot.) Even if ya buy a 70s model used they will honor this policy.

1:49 p.m. on February 25, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

there ya go! I'm sure there are as many hunters who pack out there as there are bpackers only.

the objective here is to get the word out about quality gear. what works and what doesn't. not necessarily how you use it.

still would like to hear from people with the skyledge 2.1 who've owned it and used it and under what conditions, temps, seasons, etc.

5:58 p.m. on February 25, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,389 forum posts

Hmmmm .... tman, you sound as if you are saying that "a backpack is a backpack is a backpack." Actually, backpacks (and tents) are designed with a specific range of uses in mind, and more importantly, with a certain clientele in mind. Badlands is very upfront that their designs are aimed at their target customers, namely hunters. Yes, you can take any backpack from any manufacturer and make it work for any carrying task - whether schoolbooks, camping gear, a business person's lunch, or big game. It might not do very well at the task, but you can make it do.

Some other examples - LowePro, Tamrac, Domke, and Tenba all make backpacks specifically for photographers. Some of these can be used as an overnight weekend backpack, but are not particularly good for that use. Camelback and others make hydration packs that are intended primarily for dayhikes and competitive trail runners, but can be forced to be a photographer's daypack or a weekend backpacker's pack. They are pretty uncomfortable for those other uses.

My point was that Badlands packs are designed with the hunter in mind (and offer different designs for different types of hunting). Hunters have different requirements in a backpack from thruhikers, which are different from expedition climbers, which are different from safari photographers, which are different from adventure racers. You should always select a pack based on whether its features suit your activity (that's why I have 5 primary packs), with a strong emphasis on whether it fits your body type and shape.

A big problem I see with many companies' packs is that they try to be everything for every use and every person

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply