Recommended rain jacket for S. Florida?

11:25 a.m. on February 26, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I'm replacing a jacket that worked very well for me... the Moonstone Mountain Anorak which was made of Gore Activent (I believe the predecessor to PacLite.) It had a fantastic hood, and HUGE pit zips which in a light rain opened such that it was almost like a poncho. It also came over the hips which was good to keep your whole torso dry even without rain pants. I have a 3-layer GoreTex Arcter'x Theta AR for cold weather, but this was my light, warm-weather rain protection.

Since I'm usually (but not always) in FL where it's typically hot/humid breathability is just as important as waterproofness for heavy thunderstorms.

Reading about current technology, so far I'm interested in an eVent jacket for its breathability.
Sounds so far like pit-zips may not be needed?
Are there any eVent jackets that come over-the-hip?

The Westcomb Specter LT sounds pretty much up my alley, but I'd really appreciate some input on what might best meet my needs.

Thanks!

4:58 a.m. on May 25, 2010 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Hello, I'm in your same shoes. I'm moving to Florida this summer and I was looking for a jacket as well. I'm not sure of your price range, but mine is under $200. So, eVent is a bit out of my price range. Also, I'm a backpacker, so I'm intrigued by the new style of higher up pockets, pack accessible.

I am looking at the http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Mountain-Hardwear-Typhoon-Jacket-Mens/MHW0612M.html

and the http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Marmot-Aegis-Jacket-Mens/MAR1418M.html\

and maybe the http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Marmot-Mica-Jacket-Mens/MAR1516M.html

12:50 p.m. on July 3, 2010 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

I ended up getting the Marmot Aegis, and it's suited me quite well so far. Although I seem to be the only person around here that wears a rain jacket.

7:19 p.m. on July 3, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

some of the wild things eVent hard shells are sized to come over your hips. the alpinist and the snowkite. both have armpit zippers. the snowkite is an unusual design - offset zipper, and the jacket has front/rear ports for a harness. on the other hand, it's on sale at a very significant discount, which prompted me to get one. check www.wildthingsgear.com. i don't work for them. couldn't be happier with the jacket - well-made, nicely adjustable hood, not too heavy.

though eVent does breathe well, i still like having zippered armpits. i live in a pretty steamy area and often have to deal with thunderstorms when it's 90 and humid.

gore tex breathes pretty well too, by the way, if you keep it clean and replenish the dwr coating from time to time with nikwax. pro shell is a version of gore tex that's very lightweight - and expensive - but it does about as well as eVent in my experience, for warm weather.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply