About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Flip HD Camera

12:47 p.m. on February 28, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

I would really like to document some of my experiences and I've been looking at the Flip HD camera and it has gotten almost universal positive reviews.

What I need is something to start recording at a moments notice, and ease of use when editing video (noobie at video editing)

Any suggestions would be great.

12:18 p.m. on March 1, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,181 forum posts

The Flip is certainly easy to use for shooting video, as are a number of P&S cameras that have a video function. The problem comes with the editing. There are a number of inexpensive, easy to use video editing software packages. But they aren't very sophisticated. That is, a lot of them are like the old home movie editing stands - cut the section and glue it to the next section (electronically with video, of course). The basic piecing together of a sequence of scenes is pretty easy in most of the basic packages. But they often don't have fades, wipes, dissolves, and that sort of bells and whistles, or they have basic versions of them. Then again, editing into a "Hollywood" quality video requires learning a lot more than most people are willing to do.

Adobe has a video version of their Photoshop Elements that is pretty easy to use and does have a lot of the bells and whistles, called Premiere Elements. Roxio has a video editing package that's fairly inexpensive. I have been able to get a fair amount out of Pinnacle studio.

Here is a comparison of some of the less expensive packages.

Just be aware that editing of video (or film) takes a lot of time and effort to do it right.

8:26 p.m. on March 1, 2010 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

You can do a lot with Windows Movie Maker version 2. It is free with windows.

You may also need to get VirtualDub from virtualdub.org for some advance tasks. It's free so that is good.

I picked up a 7.1 Mega Pixel 275.00 camera off ebay today for 25.00 including shipping. It was cheep because it was pink. I don't care about the color as much as the price. If it bugs me later I will buy the hard shell case.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply