Gore-tex proshell vs eVent

9:16 a.m. on March 7, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I recieved a proshell jacket as a gift from my fiance. It is nice but really expensive. I was looking online and noticed that eVent jackets are generally cheaper. Also, they seem to breathe better. I have also read that they are less durable and need to be washed much more often because they do not have the protective membrane that gore-tex has (this membrane apparently diminishes the breathability).

Does anyone have any experiences with both products. Is the breathability noticable between the two jackets? How about the durability?

2:03 p.m. on March 7, 2010 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Both types are good enough for anyone using them as advertised. Treat as per manufacturers instructions. The construction is more important (and the base materials used).

You really have to be using these new technologies in demanding situations before you become dissatisfied and begin looking for alternatives (softshell etc).

The best jacket is the one you are wearing. Nice gift.

7:04 p.m. on March 7, 2010 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Both products work pretty well. Personally I like the Gore stuff, but that is because I have owned more of it than the e-Vent, and the brands I am fond of come in the Gore. I don't think one would be very dissatisfied with either product. The Pro-Shell that I have has the pit-zips and on a somewhat muggy day they help out a lot. Do you not like the jacket you got? Sounds like you got a pretty good gift to me, wish I could get a tent or another shell, maybe Pac-Lite. Hope you enjoy the jacket!

D

7:18 p.m. on March 7, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

The jacket is really nice. I just feel like she got taken advantage of. She wanted to buy me something really nice (which I appreciate) but $500 for a shell is ridiculous.

I'm seeing eVent shells online for half the price. If I could get a better product for half the price, I don't see why I should stick with an overpriced Gore Jacket. Why are the jackets made of Goretex so much more money. Is it significantly more durable?

7:30 p.m. on March 7, 2010 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Well, I guess it depends what it is. Some brands are definitely worth the extra dough, especially when you are talking the Pro-Shell stuff. I have an Arcteryx Theta AR and I am totally satisfied with it. I haven't owned mine for too terribly long, but from what I hear and what I read not only will it last for many years, but the company is very customer friendly and takes care of those who buy their product, even if they no longer make it, they will take care of you.

I can't say if it is "significantly" more durable, but my Gore has been rubbed against rocks, tree bark, and yes even some concrete (I slipped and fell on some ice in a parking lot) and it looks like the day I bought it. I would call that pretty durable. I have been in some pretty good downpours and it has yet to let a single drop of water in (we had a very very wet winter here in TN). I guess the thing is, if you feel uncomfortable with it, you could return it and check out the e-Vent. Or I guess you could just go check out various products of both lines and make a decision based on what you find. Good luck bud!

D

9:56 p.m. on March 7, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,327 forum posts

I have and use heavily jackets and bibs of both eVent and Goretex. My Gtx jackets go all the way back to the first generation, meaning the mid-1970s for my first gTx jacket. Believe me, there is a huge difference between 1st gen Gtx and today's products. My oldest, still functional, Gtx jacket has a 1990 expedition patch on it.

Generally, I prefer eVent, which I find to be noticeably more breathable. Gtx and eVent are roughly the same in wear resistance in my experience. The type of wear I put on my shells is from rock and ice climbing, carrying packs on expeditions, and backcountry tele skiing (I tend to cut the legs on the bibs from crampons and ski edges, so all my bibs have had cordura shields on the bottoms of the legs , or else have lived through several sets of gaiters).

However, I have found that, despite Gore and GE (maker of eVent) having standards for the quality of the items made with the 2 fabrics, there is a fairly wide variation from manufacturer to manufacturer. Also, there are several different levels of waterproofness and breathability that each produce. With Gtx in particular, I have found that the DWR lasts better with some brands than others. Example, which I have mentioned on Trailspace several times, is the TNF Kichatna jacket and the Marmot Alpinist 3 that I got within 6 months of each other, both the same nominal generation of Goretex (some design differences that I wanted that the second one had that the first had lacked). The Kichatna held it DWR less than the Alpinist 3. In particular, a weeklong snow trip would require the Kichatna to have a DWR renewal, where I could go the full winter or a full month-long high altitude expedition with the Alpinist - my DWR renewal process was (and is) the same for both (as well as the 3 jackets I regularly use (one is the "town" rain jacket, the others are the ski and expedition jackets).

As for the price difference, there is more than a range of 2x in Goretex jackets and similar prices in eVent. Remember that there are different grades of the fabrics, plus within a given manufacturer's line there are jackets intended for "town" wear ("fashion"), ones intended for fairly light-duty use, and ones on the other end intended for full-on expedition use with pit zips, powder skirts, multiple hood adjustments to accomodate with and without helmet. Another factor is the manufacturer - you pay more for certain "names" than for other less popular names.

But as several others said above, if it works for you, great! As for your fiance spending too much - no, she didn't (you aren't supposed to question the price of gifts, anyway, high or low!). She bought it for you, the love of her life, to whom she is about to commit the rest of your lives, which makes it just right at any price.

2:42 a.m. on March 9, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

I have a Lowe Alpne Pro-Shell 3 layer Keaton, and made the purchase over the eVent based on a friend (who owns a chain of 4 highly acclaimed specialty outdoor stores in SoCal) who likes the Pro-Shell 3 layer for extreme cold conditions. In his experience (he owns both) the eVent breathes a little better (much better than older GTX products) but as such it does not hold in heat as well as the Pro-Shell. He also said that the pro-shell is the most durable material he's seen on a technical shell. Very light as well. I can tell you that I love my jacket (see my review). I perspire fairly easily and I've never been frustrated with the Pro-Shell in conditions used.

Interestingly enough my friend just sold his eVent shell and has ordered a shell jacket with Schoeller's C-Change fabric for it's dynamic membrane technology.

Great points all around from the others.

S.T.P. has the Lowe Alpine Climb Pro GTX 3 layer available for steep discounts right now. Beautiful jacket and a rare brand here in the States.

9:48 a.m. on March 9, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I won't comment on the Event vs Gtx debate, as I have yet to own a shell made from either.

I will second Bill's thoughts about the gift aspect-

All I know is that it can get "tricky" if I consider returning such a special gift as that from my wife. It helps me to sometimes put my budget consious, anylitical, fix-the-problem, guy-type brain on hold and just tell her how unbelievably wonderful the gift is and how much I love it (and her).

I hope I don't offend, just thought I'd share a little of my relationship blunders in case it might help...

6:35 p.m. on March 9, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

I'll be happy to take whichever, if someone else is buying. Kinda like a Camaro v. Mustang debate. If I'm shelling out the dough, I've got a preference, but not huge. If someone else is buying, I'm happy with either.

8:20 p.m. on March 9, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

I have an Arc'teryx Theta AR and an ID Thruhiker - the latter with eVENT. There is really no comparison for me in terms of breathability. The eVENT is noticeably better in that regard. Both jackets have been durable, but for backpacking, climbing, or hiking, eVENT has proven far superior. I only use my Theta for winter skiing.

10:34 p.m. on March 9, 2010 (EST)
493 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

I've read the same comments that "Mr. X. Brando" mentioned regarding eVent not being as warm as Gore-Tex. And the new Pro Shell seems to be the most breathable GTX version out there.

My Cabela's Ski Patrol standard GTX parka shell is nice and warm, especially with a 300 weight Polartec pile jacket under it.

Eric

6:26 p.m. on March 10, 2010 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,300 forum posts

i have a pro shell jacket that is great, from Marmot. the fabric is part of the picture; the design and quality of the jacket make a big difference. i can't comment on eVent from personal experience. i'm sure Gore is able to charge more because they are a market leader, whereas eVent isn't used as broadly. However, i'm sure eVent fabrics are excellent. Wild Things, a New Hampshire-based maker of really outstanding gear, uses eVent on all their shells.

my wife has no idea that there is a difference between gore tex pro shell and any other kind of gore tex, and i'm sure she hasn't a clue that eVent exists. if she were to spend that much money on a high-quality hard shell, i would thank her profusely and consider myself to be very fortunate.

11:44 p.m. on March 10, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

You guys are making me feel bad lol. We basically share our finances and I definately want to budget our money wisely. I do understand and appreciate that she wanted to give me a great gift. I am not ungrateful, just frugal.

8:23 p.m. on March 11, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,327 forum posts

Let me put it more strongly (the Old GreyBearded One says, putting on his "I've been married to the same woman for 44+ years, you got somthin to learn, Kid!" hat). I have learned and relearned the same thing that gonsan said many times. So just shut up about the "you really shouldn't have done this", and take her out to a fancy dinner at a nice candle-lit restaurant (her favorite restaurant, preferably). There are some times when cost is no object and should not be questioned. As gonzan said, there are times when you have to ignore your cheapskate, er, thrifty tendencies (OGBO has a fair amount of Scottish blood from my mother's side, and a strong tendency toward tightwaddedness - repeat after me "My name is Bill and I am a cheapskate, having been under the influence of Scrooge McDuck.")

And, by the way, that Proshell will serve you very well. When you are wearing it in some blizzard on some remote mountaintop, you will really appreciate her thoughtfulness.

1:53 a.m. on March 12, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Could not have said it better myself, Broothar William! Now if I can just get my Family Plaid Kilt in Pro-Shell Keaton...

9:55 a.m. on March 12, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Yeah, my last name is Goggans. I prefer to call my tendencies "Gaelic Thrift" ;)

10:43 a.m. on March 12, 2010 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Wish someone would buy me a jacket like that!Only because i do not beleive any jacket,regardless of manufacturer or material,should cost that much.The retail mark up is out of this world.That being said by all means enjoy it and dont look a gift horse in the mouth,long time since i got to use or hear that phrase.I am just a little jealous i guess.

7:28 a.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
35 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

What a gift and what a fiance. Accept this with good grace and revisit Bill S's , 'Ole Greybeard Says' comments for words of wisdom and a suitable chastisement. If someone had gifted me a jacket like that I would wear it with pride and if it was a partner or fiance I would love em to bits.

As a true Yorkshire man, and in the UK a Yorkshire man is considered close to a true Scotsman in terms of thrift, financial prudence and the like, I would forget my 'careful ways' other wise known as 'tight-assed-ness', count my blessings, not my money, and rejoice

12:49 p.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

I have to agree with Bill S, you should not have questioned the gift, now she will feel bad abut spending the money. Wear it and tell her how wonderful her gift is and how thoughtful and caring she is. She bought it not just for you, but so you would survive to return home to her. Take her out to a nice dinner.

I own a lot of goretex, no event. I have seen laboratory demonstrations showing that both fabrics breath equally well. Any nonsense about event breathing better is either user prejudice or observations based on different experiences, that it is, you were wearing one or the other in worse circumstances, and didn't wear both at the same time. Gore has jackets made half and half in their lab and had a user seminar which I have seen excerpts from.

however you don't wear goretex or event, you wear clothes made by various companies made of the materials and that explains the apparent differences. I buy marmot.

Jim S

3:42 p.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

I wouldn't trade my Marmot Exum Proshell for an eVent anything...

I've used it thoroughly for a little while now, and the durability is spectacular; that fact, combined with the Exum's athletic (read: tall and skinny) cut, make it a winner in my book.

12:05 a.m. on March 19, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

I wouldn't trade my Marmot Exum Proshell for an eVent anything...

I've used it thoroughly for a little while now, and the durability is spectacular; that fact, combined with the Exum's athletic (read: tall and skinny) cut, make it a winner in my book.

You might if you tried an eVENT anything.

5:55 p.m. on March 29, 2010 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

Wait to you come home one day and the wife gives you the keys to your new BMW. Especially if you would rather just drive the old pick-up. Women love to spend money as a means to show there love. If you want the relationship to last you just bite your lip and tell her much you appreciate the gift.

3:34 p.m. on May 20, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,300 forum posts

the first time I hiked up Mount Washington, I had a windbreaker and a coated nylon rain poncho. the second time, I had a coated nylon rain jacket and pants. Great hikes; I don't even remember whether I was clammy from sweat, but it did rain both times. That's my frame of reference for this comparison. both gore tex and eVent represent a pretty nice improvement from my coated nylon youth, but the hike has always been the point, and I'm sure I won't remember next year whether I was wearing one shell or the other during a rain-soaked hike or walk. today, we do have better options for staying warm, dry, and as sweat-free as possible. let me also preface my comments by saying that while I think gore tex and eVent shells are all overpriced, they have completely replaced coated nylon in the outdoor gear selection.

I recently purchased my first eVent jacket, a clearance item, and the mother nature smiled on me with three steadily rainy days this week, 50-55 degrees. I went up and down a steep set of stairs I train on for 90 minutes on Monday, 75 minutes Wednesday. light capilene baselayer and shorts, the same pair of gore tex 'paclite' rain pants both days, but wore the eVent jacket monday and a gore tex pro shell jacket wednesday. started out with pit zips closed, but unzipped each as i heated up. carried roughly 30 pounds on my back each day. wore the hoods about half the time; when i got to warm, took off the hood and cooled off. the jackets are slightly different in that one is waist-length, the other hip-length, but that made no difference.

both jackets kept the rain out. what I observed is that eVent breathes very slightly better than gore tex pro shell. Drew that conclusion not from my comfort level, but from the relative dampness of the baselayer and the inside of each jacket. it was something i had to pay attention to and check afterward. There was no noticeable improvement in comfort from one jacket to the other while I was walking - I was sweating pretty hard regardless of which jacket I wore, which is basically inevitable while walking up a steep incline carrying some weight. the same was true with the pants, except that the seam tape on the pants seems to be more like coated nylon (they are older and a different brand than the other garments), so a little moisture beaded up on the seam tape.

no difference in breathability between the gore tex paclite and gore tex pro shell i wore.

if someone is telling you that gore tex is somehow inferior to eVent, or vice versa, well, it's pretty hard to tell from my limited experience. I guess time will tell.

12:11 a.m. on May 21, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

There are some times when cost is no object and should not be questioned.

I heartily concur, both with the domestic wisdom as well as gear advice.

I tell newbies some equipment purchases have a certain amount of vanity appeal. It is a minor consideration between budget trekking poles and the Cadillac poles, or cheap stuff sack versus some exotic ultra light model. But some gear purchases should ignore price as a consideration; shell apparel being one of these items. Get the best. Not necessarily the most expensive but the item that is the best constructed using materials suited for your application. Nothing worse that being stuck in a three day storm with the temperature hovering just above freezing, while both rain parka and tent leak. Emerging from such an experience will forever change your attitude as to what one can or can’t afford. Ed

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply