Snow Peak

7:37 p.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

I finally have a cup. Don't I get a ceremony or something?

9:02 p.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,555 forum posts

Not without a photo. Haha

But good for you! Snow Peak makes good stuff.

What did you get?

10:06 p.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

I own several Snow Peak products and have not had a single problem with any of them. Snow Peak makes excellent products. Congrats on the purchase!

2:07 p.m. on March 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

Got a single wall 300 and double wall 450 + lid. The lid works great. I have a coffee press too. Finally got to use it down by the Pee Dee a couple of weeks ago. Only had fine grind, but it did OK keeping the grind seperated anyway.

5:18 p.m. on March 19, 2010 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Got their double-wall 450 mug and LOVE it. Amazingly good insulator, and the ergonomics are wonderfully well done. I don't have the lid, but plan on picking one up next time I see one. Snow Peak makes very good stuff, in my experience. Their Giga Power stove is my all-time favorite, and their Giga lantern is also excellent.

One of their products I've not actually laid hands on, and in which I'm interested out of curiosity, at least, is their Mountain sleeping pad--which one can see on their website here. My curiosity stems from the fact they claim the pad is inflated "with the air inside its own storage case".

It looks like the case is hard, polycarbonate perhaps, and I guess it's supposed to be able to function as a pump somehow. Anyone have experience with these?

10:28 p.m. on March 19, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,555 forum posts

Hey Perry,

Do you have the canister lantern, or the white gas version?

I was interested in the white gas lantern, but man is it pricey. I have an older Camping Gaz lantern and use it occasionally for group camping.

I use mostly white gas, so it would be nice to carry only one fuel with regards to a lantern.

11:13 p.m. on March 19, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,555 forum posts

I just got through looking on the Snow Peak site, they don't show the white gas lantern that is in the 2009 catalog.

11:26 p.m. on March 19, 2010 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

I don't own either, but I have frequently used a friend's canister-burning lantern, and it works very well. So well, in fact, it's on my personal wish list. (Ah, to be made of money!)

Note, on the Snow Peak web site, there are two areas in which gear is listed; if you're in the backpacking area, you don't find the white gas lantern--it's listed under "luxury camping", here. The small Giga Lantern we use is found under the backpacking stuff. (And, on the page to which I linked, under something called a "Hozuki LED light". Under the luxury rubric, they also show something called a "BF Lantern", which makes the regular Giga lantern look kinda wimpy--but it's also twice the price, and twice the size/weight, roughly. I'll let others guess what "BF" means.....

11:39 p.m. on March 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

No ceremony, but you get to buy a round the next time we're all together.

11:10 a.m. on March 20, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,555 forum posts

Thanks Perry, I had overlooked it.

The white gas lantern is bigger than I realized, considering that, I guess my only rational choice would be the much smaller and much cheaper canister version.

Pub Spears,

I'm glad for you, good gear makes trips more enjoyable doesn't it.

I have the Snow Peak 700 and love it, I have looked at the 450 and may get it, I'm still trying to decide how to work out my new lighter kit.

1:29 p.m. on March 20, 2010 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

I have the Snow Peak 750ml cup/pot -- the drainer lid is very handy -- and the Giga stove which, along with one of the smaller canisters, fits in very well. I got a good price on a case lot of the larger canisters, but they do not fit in the pot. They have their uses for extended backpacking trips or when there are more people to cook for, though. This is the lightest set-up I own, for when I'm going ultralight.

I got one of the lanterns at a great price on eBay, to complete the trifecta. It works very well, from a dim glow to quite a nice bright light, which I rarely need. This has replaced the candle lantern I used for ages, for a lot of camping, although when I want to go really light, the candle lantern still makes the grade.

2:27 p.m. on March 20, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

I love my 450 double wall mug. The weight is almost unnoticed when packed and it really keeps coffee/tea/soup hot for a good period. However, it is really a single function item only offering insulation. As I build a lighter kit, I may lean in favor of a single wall to offer more options but I'll make that decision after purchasing some pots. Snow peak really hs a great product line imho.

1:10 a.m. on March 21, 2010 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

I stuff my pack cover or other small items into the mug, so although it has only one real use, it doesn't take up much extra space, and the reward seems well worth it. I suppose if I ever try to go really light, it may present a small quandary, but until then I'm taking my mug!

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply