World Stove - Lucia and Beaner Stoves

4:23 p.m. on March 21, 2010 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Another minimalist stove for consideration... I haven't ordered one (yet), but am intrigued by the design and, more importantly, impressed with the company's global/social awareness.

If you are unfamiliar with the World Stove, it is a company which is designing minimalist/simple stoves for a variety of applications. Their LuciaStove is designed for developing nations to both provide an efficient form of cooking, as well as some economic growth (local communities assemble the units).

http://worldstove.com/products/luciastove-for-developing-nations/

The one that we would be more directly interested in is the Beaner Backpacking stove:

http://worldstove.com/products/the-beaner-backpacking-stove/

It is billed as a carbon-negative lightweight stove for backpacking. It is designed to burn (incinerate) biomass around you (needles, sticks, cones, squirrels) or consume alcohol if cooking needs to be quicker or biomass is not readily available. Their eBay store lists them for $50... so, while there are certainly more affordable minimalist stoves (you can do something similar with a soup can), one would assume that the quality makes up for the cost.

At either length, it interests me uniquely because if buying one of their other stoves helps encourage their efforts in developing nations (they are working hard for Haiti right now)... I'm in. New piece of gear AND supporting a socially conscious company? Sounds win-win.

Anyone have one yet or seen one around? Will have to see when I can squeeze the money out of the budget (don't really need another stove) to do a review.

And, my apologies Alicia if this is somewhere on the site already... I always seem to search wrong!

5:22 p.m. on March 21, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,024 forum posts

And, my apologies Alicia if this is somewhere on the site already... I always seem to search wrong!

No, it's not on the site yet, but now it will be! Thanks for bringing up the topic. I'll see about adding it to the Gear Guide.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply