Powerfilm USB+AA solar charger

7:34 p.m. on March 23, 2010 (EDT)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Has anyone had any experience with the Powerfilm USB+AA solar charger? I am wondering how well they work and if there are any reliability/durability issues.

9:45 p.m. on March 23, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,271 forum posts

I looked at this at the OR Show and tried to wangle a loaner to test. No luck though, so no personal experience in the field. From talking to the rep, the charge times seemed a bit on the slow side. But then, I am used to using a 26 watt foldable panel, which will recharge my camera batteries in under 2 hours.

4:11 a.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

I've got their original "AA" version without the USB. It's lasted me the last year and a half without issue, and that's pretty impressive for me. (I'm a bit rough on things... A lot...) It folds, it flexes, it squishes, it bunches, it's pretty much indestructable. It'll charge 4 2100 mAh NiMh "AA" batteries in about 6 hours of full-on sunlight. If you go to their site, they shoot some holes through some of their larger solar panels with a gun and the things still work with a very minimal loss of voltage and wattage. Pretty damn impressive! Here's the link. the video is the "click here to view a demonstration" link on their page. http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/foldable-solar-chargers.php

Impressive demonstration! And just made me love my Powerfilm charger that much more.

Peace!

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply