Looking for a specific tent, need some help

8:46 p.m. on March 23, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hello, I'm looking to buy a new tent, I have been looking at two models:

Double Rainbow (http://www.tarptent.com/doublerainbow.html)

and the heavier Marmot Earlylight 2P (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=MA82000)

I am really interested in the Double Rainbow, but am weary of the netting and what not; feels like there's not much protection from the elements. A Pro for me is that it uses a single pole. The pole fits into a sleeve, but the sleeve is open at both ends. I'm really attracted to it being so light though.

I am interested in the marmot because it is so simple to throw up and seems like it would fare better in difficult weather. The hooks would be more cumbersome than sleeves, but I watched a few videos of it being setup and it seems really quick and easy.

What I *really* want (I think) is this: Northface Slickrock (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/the_north_face_slickrock_gg.html)

It has the same structure as the Earlylight, but the poles go into sleeves that have pockets at the end and are sealed. This would be extremely easy to throw up and it looks like it would hold up well in weather. The problem is... Northface doesn't make the Slickrock anymore.

Does anyone have any alternatives for me? I don't know how to search for 'closed sleeve' tents I guess. Must sleep two and be a 3 season tent. Big selling points are double entry, 2 or less poles, closed pole sleeves.

7:13 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

How many frustrated ideas can form when tent thinking ? More than there should be . Every tent has one great feature with little or less to offer . L.L. Bean actually makes a 3 person dome tent with lot of vents and good features that looks really cool on the inside but would be too heavy/or space cramping for backpacking. The Northface Tadpole has the best vestuble out there but not roomy enough for most people (or 2 people).

All this said , searching for just convertable tent model's narrows down this hassle.

7:15 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I can tell you what I think of the MSR Hubba, which I think is similar to the 2 person Hubba Hubba.

I like this tent because it's easy to setup using a single pole system, free standing, strong in the wind, well vented and stays mostly dry in the rain (a few water drops can splash through the mesh from under the fly when it's very windy but not a significant amount). I'm not sure if it has the pole system you're looking for, it has the inner mesh, pole system outside of that, then the rain fly goes over that.

Anyway the Hubba Hubba sleeps 2, 2 entrys, and single pole system. If you're looking for a warmer tent the Hubba Hubba HP would undoubtedly be warmer using a lot less mesh.

Check it out see if it fits your bill
http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/fast-and-light-tents/hubba-hubba/product

3:11 p.m. on March 28, 2010 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I always say the Eureka Mountain Pass 2 & 3xte is a great tent with a lifetime warranty. I have the 2 and the 3 have done reviews for both on the site plus put a few pics up.

10:36 a.m. on March 29, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

I have and have used a Marmot Limelight with the same pole hook configuration, and I can attest to it being a really easy pitch.

12:35 p.m. on March 29, 2010 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

There is no perfection; there are only trade-offs.

That being said, I would like to say a word about the Double Rainbow. I own and use one of Henry's tarptents, the Contrail. Of course, it is quite a different design. However, I know for a fact that Henry's construction and materials are very good. Unless for some reason you are very hard on gear, you need not worry about durability.

As for protection from the elements, the vestibule closes completely and provides plenty of shelter. The Contrail uses a similar system; there is no "inner door", just the netting and the vestibule. It has not been a problem for me, and I have been out in some downpours. Ventilation is designed well enough that, while there was some condensation, it was mild and did not matter. This was in very humid conditions, too.

Looking again at the link you provided, I see that there is an optional clip-in inner liner for only $30 more. If you are really concerned about protection from the elements or staying warmer or whatever, this ought to help, although it does not provide a "door."

Consider some advantages of the Double Rainbow: two doors, one on each side. Since you say you want to sleep two, that is a great convenience. Either of you can get out without crawling over the other. And then there is the value of two large vestibules; you can each have your pack in the vestibule where it will be reachable from where you are.

Finally, consider virtually the same floor space, a slightly higher apex, and half the weight.

Yes, I am a fan of Henry's work. No, I don't get any kickbacks or discounts. :-) Just suggesting, look again.

12:28 p.m. on May 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thank you for all of the input. I ended up getting a Double Rainbow from TarpTent. I am very pleasantly surprised at how well this thing is made. I didn't think it would be crap, but I'm surprised nonetheless. I've only set it up a few times, but I'm about to take it on a two week trip through the northern US and will update with how it works out.

It is a remarkably easy and quick setup. There's way more room inside than the pictures convey. It's very light and very easy to carry around.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply