About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Backpack with "U-shaped" zipper opening?

2:58 a.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hello I heard about the Arc'Teryx Altra 75 backpack
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/arcteryx/altra-75/
and found that it has a zipper extending down one side, the bottom and up the other side making a U shape and allowing you to open the whole bag up like a suitcase of sorts. I was wondering if anyone knows about this feature in other backpacks of similar size? Thanks

5:01 a.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Millet, the French company, have used it, so I doubt it is exclusive/patented. Some people get so good at packing that they don't even need to have a sleeping bag compartment zip. Trouble with that big single zip is when it breaks. The zip on the lid of my Bora 80 is starting to fray because it is a coil zip (for which there are pros and cons), so I hope they used something better on the Altra.

What is with the colour choices? Black or "Look at Me" orange and red. Talk about bipolar.

6:18 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Yea that orange color is getting kind of silly but the black looks good. I really want to get a pack with this feature but not sure if I'm gonna be able to spend $400

Packs with the single top opening seem like they'll be really tough to get things in and out, without spending a lot of time doing it. I've looked at the Osprey Aether 85 and it seems to improve with the opening on the front and sides, but still seems like it would be difficult to get stuff back in after you take it out.

That Altra 75 looks genius the way the whole front opens but $400 geeze. I didn't see the Millet pack you were talking about and it seems like it would be kind of hard to acquire one, I'm in USA. Anyone have other suggestions for super easy to load and organize large packs?

9:33 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,254 forum posts

it's hard to find large panel-loaders - it's a design that used to be more popular. if you have no budgetary constraints and want something that will last a long, long time, McHale Packs makes several styles of panel-loading packs. Very expensive, but it will probably last a lot longer than a mass-production product. Mystery Ranch makes smaller packs (3000 cubic inches and smaller) with a three-zipper opening on the back that performs essentially the same function.

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply