Backpacking boot for triangular, high arch foot

4:45 p.m. on April 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Seeking recommendations for a female boot for the following foot type - very wide toe base, relatively narrow heal, high arch/high volume foot.

Attempts:

Vasque Breeze wide width with super feet inserts - 18 mile trip (after 30-35 miles of break in use) resulted in blisters at base of heals and blisters and hot spots on pinky toes (using the standard 2 pairs of socks- liner and thick wool hiker).

Asolo - in store - some pressure on pinky toes, but more significant pain on inner ankle bone, even when they matted down the padding

Keen - some are actually wide enough for my toes! but then the heel slips up significantly, even with super feet, and further inserts are likely to constrict the arch.

Lowa - didn't have my size, but seemed a bit tight in the toes (and very little toe protection on that particular boot)

1. These seem to be the only brands that are stocked in local stores. Are there any brands that might work?

2. Does it make a difference if I do full grain leather versus new tech materials?

3. Have also been researching custom made. Is that my only viable option?

4. Is it possible my feet just need to toughen up?

5. I wear a women's 8 - any brands stock men's 6, and would that help?

4:46 p.m. on April 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
596 forum posts

It seems like your Vasque Breezes aren't too bad. Perhaps a different lacing/knotting system will prevent the heel lift. I'm betting your pinkies are working overtime, too, in trying to reduce the roll of your high arched foot.

Some people benefit from a stiff, full-length-shank boot. It places more of the work on different leg muscles and less on the joints of the feet and ankles. You might try a solid, full-grain backpacking boot - a few are still made. The extra weight may bother you at first, but the feet may complain less. : )

10:46 p.m. on April 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Oh, I forgot to mention that. I tried just about every tying technique I could find. Just ordered full grain leather boots...that are less stiff and have better arch support. We shall see. The Vasques may not sound bad, but they sure felt bad! Certainly wouldn't be able to do a week long trip with them.

3:43 a.m. on April 28, 2010 (EDT)
508 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

You really need an orthotic insole first and foremost.

Eric

10:47 p.m. on May 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
43 forum posts

Look at www.orthosole.com

They are new and both very supportive, and impact absorbing.

They each come with three firmness of arch, and two firmness of metatarsals. The heel counter will give you stability.

Chris

December 17, 2014
Quick Reply