Camp/trail shoe/sandal?

1:45 p.m. on April 27, 2010 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I am looking to buy a camp shoe or sandal, but I'd like something I can walk around the woods in. Ideally they would breath well and dry quickly. I would consider a sandal, but the toe needs to be covered. Any ideas? Of course, in a perfect world they would be light weight as well.

4:01 a.m. on April 28, 2010 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

I tried a pair of those foam-plastic clogs that everyone wears, a cheap imitation pair, and found them to be amazingly light and comfortable - I might buy some proper ones. I also use a pair of fleece slippers if it is cold, from Outdoor Designs. Neither are ideal if you camp on wet ground.

But if I were planning a week-long trip, I would take a pair of the lightest running shoe type footwear I could find, just incase I developed sore feet and had to wear them during the day. If you take sandals, I believe that the cheapest Tevas are lighter than the more expensive ones but make sure they don't rub your feet. I find the toe cover on Keens a bit too low (I had black toe when I tried them on).

In the summer, experiment with bare feet.

11:40 a.m. on April 28, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

Crocs can be a good camp shoe - lightweight, dry quickly, good cushioning, easy to slip on and off. the soles are usually pretty slick, though, and you really can't use them for walking around in the woods.

If you have to have a covered toe, Keens are the best in my opinion. they breathe pretty well and dry pretty quickly, and I have had good luck with durability. they start to get kind of stinky after a while.

for the purpose you describe, I use Chacos, the Z1. the strap system can be adjusted to accommodate socks, the soles offer better support and protection than most other sandals, and they are available in sticky, high-traction rubber if you're around water. there is virtually no hardware to damage. Mine have been excellent. the toe isn't covered, however, and its pretty heavy for a sandal.

In what may be the ultimate camp shoe feature, Reef includes a bottle opener in the sole......

6:33 p.m. on April 29, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

Check out the multitude of sandals under gear reviews here at Trailspace. There are a lot of them that have toe protection.

For an all around sandal/camp shoe/river shoe I think the ones with a sturdy sole are best. And they should drain well as well as be easy to shake out those little pea sized stones that often get in when river walking or crossing gravel. Thats the one thing I hate about sandals is getting those lil stones that make walking a pain.

For me who wears a size 14 shoe, I like to find sandals that allow my toes plenty of room back from the front of the toe. My current pair are cheap Faded Glory sandals. When I hiked the Narrows in Zion I chose full cover sneakers.

7:14 p.m. on April 29, 2010 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
September 16, 2014
Quick Reply