Boot recommendations

9:44 p.m. on May 3, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

Im hoping to get some help in picking out some new boots. I had a pair of Asolo TPS 520, soles fell off after 5 months. I then upgraded to the Asolo Powermatic 500's, soles are ripping apart near the big toe after 6 months.

Looking for something pretty durable, I am an Arborist so its tough conditions all the time, and waterproof.

Shortlist;

Garmont Tower GTX

Garmont Vetta Plus

La Sportiva Glacier

La Sportive Trango ALP GTX

La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX

Any other suggestions?

TIA!

7:02 a.m. on May 4, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I would stick with Vasque (made in USA) or Asolo. They should pay me for endorsements, such is my satisfaction. They always fit me best, and had no blister issues, no matter what model selected. In every case I retired boots of these two brands only after the seams started failing on the uppers from years of hard abuse. Scarpa may be good too, but may experience with this brand is limited to one pair of telemark boots.

Ed

8:09 a.m. on May 4, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Welcome BostonBull,

My personal preference is for boots with a sewn on sole, I too have had separation problems in the past. For heavy use I wear Full Grain Leather boots with a welted sole, not glued on soles.

As far as brand goes I don't know what you have tried besides Asolo, but the general advise is to pick a boot that fits your foot since not all brands have the same width, volume, or shape.

10:30 a.m. on May 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
596 forum posts

I agree with trouthunter, a full-grain, one-piece leather upper with Littleway stitching or, if not available, Norwegian stitching or Goodyear welt. A bellows tongue to keep out the water. Leather lining. No Goretex. Rough-out is a toss-up.

The above should give you a boot that lasts decades, even in tough conditions.

7:33 p.m. on May 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

I really have experience with only three brands of boots, one is a handmade logging boot, West Coast Shoe Co., the other is 2 pairs of Asolos. I am very unimpressed with Asolos thus far. My favorite hiker, no longer made was the EMS mens Summitt boots. lasted forever!

Waterproof is a huge plus for me, as we work in all conditions and in the winter.

What boots should I be looking at with stitched/Welted soles?

10:57 a.m. on May 5, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

in the last 2 years i have taken liberal use of the "try it and if you don't like it" return policy at scheels and cabelas. i've had 5 pairs of boots out for day hikes and have finally decided that........

meindl perfekts from cabelas are the best for what i do, and fit my feet the best. if you have a cabelas nearby, give those a shot.

for that matter, do a forum search, myself and many others have posted several times discussing proper boot fit. the "big-name" boots are not always the best for what you do, or what your feet are shaped like. i love the look of asolo boots, but they just do not fit. every pair i've ever tired on are too narrow. keep looking.

6:47 p.m. on May 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

I dont *think* the fit is the issue. I love how Asolos fit, and feel, its their soles I am unimpressed with thus far.

I cant find anyone around me thathas a good selection of La Sportivas, Scarpas, Garmont, etc. It sure would make life a lot easier to try them on and check them out in person first.

8:02 p.m. on May 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
596 forum posts

BB,

You are close enough to Limmers in NH to go there. However, Evans in Townsend, MA, http://www.evansonthecommon.com/Footwear/FootwearMen.html has Limmers, Vasque, Danners, Merrill, etc.

Danners has some stitched boots made in US. The Merrill Wilderness used to be made in Italy, but no more (and no leather lining). Limmers can be custom made in NH or you can buy their German-made (Meindhl) boots at Evans.

Good luck.

9:30 p.m. on May 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

Thank you for the links. I unfortunately dont have time for a custom pair, and thats what I would want. I have custom Loggers from Wesco, and they are my favorite boots.

I have narrowed down my choices to the following;

La Sportiva Karakorum

La Sportiva Glacier

Scarpa Manta GSB

Garmont Vetta Plus

1:10 p.m. on May 6, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

each of those boots on your short list are intended for mountaineering - cold, snow travel, or use with crampons or snowshoes. the soles are very stiff, and you may find them very tiring to hike in under non-mountaineering conditions. if you are out a lot in the winter and need one boot for year-round use, they might be good choices, but I wouldn't want to hike in any of those boots in the summer.

for year-round use, i would steer toward some of the heavier backpacking boots that should stand up to abuse, but whose soles and leather are more conducive to hiking long distances in a non-mountaineering setting. the Alico New Guide and the Limmer Standard (the non-custom stock boots manufactured by Meindl in Germany) come to mind - stronger construction than those Asolos you mentioned, waterproofed by using some kind of quality boot grease.

8:39 p.m. on May 6, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

I have been searching more and more and looking everywhere for suggestions. Meindls look super tough, as do limmers. I also have been told to check out Hanwag boots, the Alaska specifically.

Thanks for the help and keep the suggestions coming.

9:44 p.m. on May 6, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

Let down again.........

Only limited meindl and Hanwag boots are available stateside.

Anyone know of dealers that stock a wide range of either of these two brands here in the USA?

10:54 a.m. on May 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

I am seriously considering the Limmers, not sure which model yet. I am only a little over an hour away, so I will go up and have a look soon.

What other boots should I be looking at that the soles and uppers will last more than 6 months to a year?

11:40 a.m. on May 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
596 forum posts
12:47 p.m. on May 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
596 forum posts

BB,

The sale is still going at STP - http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/347,61270_Alico-Summit-Backpacking-Hiking-Boots-For-Men.html

see http://www.alicosport.it/paginasummit.htm

for details of the boot. (Leather-lined, half-shank, which means not too stiff)

also http://www.alicosport.it/paginaguide.htm

for something stiffer. The Guides, also on closeout, are mountain boots.

7:27 p.m. on May 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

BB,

The sale is still going at STP - http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/347,61270_Alico-Summit-Backpacking-Hiking-Boots-For-Men.html

see http://www.alicosport.it/paginasummit.htm

for details of the boot. (Leather-lined, half-shank, which means not too stiff)

also http://www.alicosport.it/paginaguide.htm

for something stiffer. The Guides, also on closeout, are mountain boots.

How would these compare to Limmers? and which model Limmer are they closest to?

Limmers lightweigths arent too much more.....

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply