NEW GEAR ON THE SUPER CHEAP!!!

11:55 a.m. on May 5, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Considering the tough economic times, I have had to be patient and keep my eyes out for astounding deals on outdoor gear.

This post is intended to be a PSA for Trailspace folks:

IF YOU HAVE A ROSS STORE, MARSHALL'S, OR TJMAXX, THEN START SHOPPING THERE FOR OUTDOOR APPAREL AND EQUIPMENT.

What?!? Excuse me, you say? Blasphemy! Hear me out though:

These stores buy surplus from just about anywhere, and subsequently stumble across some great product for the outdoor enthusiast. SEE MY GEAR REVIEWS FOR SOME OF THE LAUGHABLE PRICES I'VE PAID FOR STUFF.

I have found, in my size, MONTRAIL, pRana, COLUMBIA (TITANIUM TOO), TNF, MOUNTAIN HARDWEAR, PATAGONIA, MARMOT, TEVA, JANSPORT, CLOUDVEIL, SPYDER, MARKER, SMARTWOOL, ICEBREAKER, MERRELL, COLEMAN (even X-ponent!), VOELKL, LOWE, AND OTHERS. Equipment ranging from headlamps to chalkbags to multitools-every type of apparel imaginable. Being in a low pressure environment, I can try on as I please and rest assured that the warranties are intact. The stores also have a 30 day return policy.

As an example, I found a Patagonia Gritty mountaineering backpack at Marshall's for $39 (retail $169.00). A brilliant pack, but one I didn't need. I sold it NWT's for $90, which was still less than anywhere online (I checked before posting it for sale).

It is hit or miss, but 5 minutes could save more than 80% off retail! I also love Steep and Cheap and Sierra Trading Post.

I firmly believe in supporting my local neighbors in business when I can, but sometimes the budget doesn't allow for those retail prices.

Any other creative places for buying on the cheap?

3:00 p.m. on May 5, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,070 forum posts

Goodwill is a great place to look for new used gear too. I got a Eureka Apex and a Sierra Designs Lightwedge 2 for $3 each a couple days ago. I sold the Lightwedge on Craigslist for $100 and have the Apex for sale here and CL for $75. Also got three pairs of Goretex gaiters and a down sleeping bag at Goodwill lately. Here they sell things by the pound. It starts at $2 for 5 lbs and goes up by $1.25 for each additin 10 lbs.

I even saw a pair of extreme mountaineering Kolfax? boots. The ones with the hard plastic/nylon shell outerboot and the inner bootie, brand new and they were selling em for $22. That day I didnt have any money or I probably would have grabbed them.

Today there was a Nishiki road bicycle for $20, a 1980s model in great shape. I have a Trek 4500 mtn bike so I didnt buy the road bike.

Up in Jackson Hole there is a place called Browse and Buy which being a hiking/skiing/ tourist town always has great clothing and outdoor gear with excellent low prices.

7:50 p.m. on May 5, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Good stuff Gary. I really like your photos of Oak Creek canyon and surrounding areas. My grandparents built 2 cabins across the creek from the Pine Flats campgrounds in 1944. Still in the family and still my favorite place on earth. We rent the small one and the bigger one is for family. My favorite run is up the switchbacks towards your slice of heaven in Flagstaff. I love Westfork (all seasons) for hiking, and in the summer stopping by Garland's on the way back to the cabin's to pick blackberries in their orchards.

Goodwill is a great place to check things out. I'll have to go there more often.

2:52 p.m. on May 16, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

There's still eBay don't forget. I got a brand new Arcteryx Theta on there for less than 300...retail is 475. I have seen tents, bags, packs, footprints, boots...you name it one there. Some are good prices and some are the same as retail, and some are phony, so be weary. SteepandCheap.com is also a great place for good/great deals on brand new stuff...but it can be dangerous too if you buy things just because they are a "great price".

D

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply