About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Eureka Timberline 2 ?s

11:18 a.m. on May 9, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

I am interested in the Timberline 2. Does anyone have or have used this tent backpacking? How is the wieght, pack size, ventilation, durability , etc. of this tent? I was thinking about getting this tent for my son and I. I was also looking at the "Annex" that Eureka sells for this tent. I was thinking that I could take the support pole of the annex down and just stake it to the ground during inclimate weather. In essence it would be a LARGE vestibule right? I know I would have to crawl under the annex when down but it would just be for the bad weather. With nice weather I would Leave the pole in. Any comments?

11:50 a.m. on May 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
64 forum posts

I bought a Timberline 2 in the 70's and it lasted almost twenty years.It only took one time backpacking with it to realize there are better options out there.Great for car camping but at almost seven pounds way to heavy to pack.The poles only collapse to 24" lengths.The ventilation is adequate with the large screened front door and generous back window.Sorry,I don't have any experience with the annex.It was'nt an option back then.

8:57 p.m. on May 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

Timberlines are wonderful tents for what they are and the price is excellent. However they are heavy for backpacking (though great for canoeing). I'd look at other options for backpacking.

11:43 p.m. on May 9, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

I bought a Timberline as my second tent when I was in Alaska in 1978. My first tent had been from a department store called TG&Y. I liked the 2 man version Timberline I had and used it all summer in 1978 and 1979. Then I got into winter camping and bought a North Face VE24.

Anyway, I liked my Timberline very much. I liked the fact that it was selfsupporting and the rainfly would attach to the pole system without the tent. And it had clips on the inside of the fly to attach to the outside of the tent for better wind stability.

It was a heavy tent but I didnt mind back then when I was in my early 20s and carried heavy packs.

I had another Timberline in the early 90s when my wife and I used to car camp. We had the 4 man tent because of its roominess.

I too never had the vestibule you show in your picture.

12:28 p.m. on May 10, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

I see the Sunrise in your profile picture, so I assume you found the Eureka because you like the Eureka you already have. I know you aren't carrying the Sunrise over terrain so I'll approach my response assuming that you haven't backpacked before. Please forgive me if I'm mistaken. Understand that I'm a novice and not an expert on anything of the outdoors. That being said, after a handful of backpacking excursions I have learned one universal trail truth: after you carry your gear across several miles of rough terrain you have a better appreciation for what you can get out of what you can carry.

I very nearly settled on a Timberline 2 when buying a backpacking tent, but I ended up opting for a Marmot Limelight 2P. The Marmot was just preferable in every way. The Limelight is lighter while having more interior room. The full coverage rain fly integrates the larger vestibule. The Timberline leaves the vertical sidewalls exposed, though they do have zippered covers. The included ground cloth is waterproof. The Timberline doesn't include a ground cloth, and the Eureka accessory is not water-resistant. As an added feature, the Marmot can utilize its ground cloth and rain fly as a lightweight tarp shelter, omitting the inner tent entirely. Not sure if the Timberline can do this or not.

I'm not suggesting that you go out and buy a Marmot necessarily, but please do consider other options. The Timberline does beat most other options on price, including the Limelight, but for a modestly higher investment you can gain quite a bit of comfort and security.

5:48 p.m. on May 10, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Thanks everyone!

Yock you hit it on the head about never bakpackin before. This summer will be the First. Its funny about the Marrmot too. I actually bought the Marmot Limelight 3 after thinking long and hard about a backpacking tentover the winter. I have never used it but set it up a few times in the house. I am thinking about returning it because it just seema WAY to big and heavy to be lugging around. I did not look at the weight of the Timberline but the box seemed more compact than the Limelight in the store. I know now that what I have is lighter. But it is bulky too. The other issue I see with my tent is the vestibules seem small. It would just fit my pack and thats it. I really want something with a large vestibule that I can store my pack in and cook under a bit of shelter in the rain. Thats why I liked the Annex on the Eureka. I got the Marmot at REI so I think I can return it. I have been looking at the Sierra designs Vaporlight 2 XL and Lightning XT 2. Again these tents dont have much of a vestibule but, I like the weight, size, and design of them though. I guess I want a light (about 4lb) tent with a large coverd vestibule. Maybe I could just get one of the Sierra Designs tents and get a light weight tarp also for cooking and shelter in the rain. What do you thing. Anyone else chime in as well please. :)

9:58 p.m. on May 10, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

i used the timberline 2 for nearly 15 years and led trips where we had several of them being used by 15 year olds. it is pretty easy to pitch, even in lousy weather, it works well, and it was very well made, considering how long it lasted. i didn't use a vestibule. excellent value.

on the downside, it's a pretty heavy tent, and it is not the most stable tent in high winds. the lack of a dome or center hoop arrangement means it can, and probably will, sag a lot in an unexpected snowfall. also, dome tents make better use of the available floor space because the walls are more vertical - there are a lot of corners and edges in the timberline that aren't terribly useful, except for small items, because the walls are angled.

REI sells a series of dome tents that are lighter weight and more stable than the timberline; the camp dome is around $100 and is comparable - self-standing, only 2 main poles, feels a smaller inside; we have used one for quite a while with good results. the half dome is more expensive, and the quarter dome even more. the quarter dome t2 plus has a little more space inside and still weighs under 5 pounds.

a poncho with grommets in the corner, plus some guy line, can serve as a makeshift vestibule. i tend to rely on an overlarge waterproof pack cover to keep the pack dry, instead of a vestibule.

8:00 a.m. on May 11, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

Yeah, the Limelight 3 is the 3-man option. If you need more personal space it can be a great 2-man tent where you can share the load. Just buy an extra stuff sack and make your tent buddy carry the poles and rain fly. I suppose you could split it between three men if you wanted; inner tent, rain fly, and hardware. I don't know if the 3-man version is just as comfortable with 3 as the 2-man is with 2 though.

I went backpacking with my best friend back in March and we used my Limelight 2. I carried the tent by myself and it wasn't really that bad. It was cozy, but not uncomfortable for the two of us, and neither of us are small. I'm 5'10"@ 270lbs and he's 6' and a bit lighter.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply