Best outdoorsy-ish laptop sleeve?

9:30 p.m. on May 10, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

After much exhaustive searching, I've found what I believe to be the ideal answer to my needs in a laptop sleeve:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.htm

6mm neoprene covered in ballistic nylon, cut-to-fit for your specific laptop. Protective, abrasion-resistant, but still soft-sided in order to conform better to the shape of your pack. Simple Velcro closure won't break like a zipper will, and tight fit means less wiggle room. Less wiggle=less momentum=less chance of breakage. It's on the way...Full report to come...

10:07 p.m. on May 10, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Personally when I travel and carry my laptop in the outdoors, I use my Crazy Creek chair for a laptop case inside my daypack and backpack. Its foam cushion pads the laptop very well.

The crazy Creek chair also works well to insulate cold drinks in my daypack while on dayhikes.

You'll have to imaging my laptop inside this. It works really well. I used it when I bicycled across Alaska in 2006 and have used it this way since 2005 when I got my first laptop.

I did'nt look at your weblink, as this is something I already use around camp anyway and so I don't like to carry things that add extra weight, no matter how light they might be. I also carry a solar panel that charges my laptop in the field as well as my camera and flashlight batteries.

Many probably dont carry a laptop backpacking, but as a photographer I like to load my daily images to it, plus store PDF topo maps and information on areas I plan to go where wifi is not available in the backcountry. And I write my daily journal on my laptop.

10:47 a.m. on May 11, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

That SFbags sleeve looks really nice and sturdy to me, Pillowthread. Even I need an outdoorsy laptop case to carry on my adventure trips. I agree with Gary that not many people carry their laptops for outdoor kind of travel, but I can’t go anywhere without mine. Something interesting that caught my eye while I was researching for similar products was a Briggs & Riley adventure backpack that has a separate laptop compartment. It hasn’t been launched yet, so I am also waiting to see what it looks like in real!

11:09 a.m. on May 11, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,389 forum posts

Laptops should be forbidden in the backcountry!

Gary, I use a Jobo 80G for my daily downloads. Although I can't do image processing with it, I can review the images and delete the bad ones. I sometimes carry a second backup drive (also a Jobo unit) so I have two sets of the images. Closest I came to filling the 80G drive was in Africa for 4 weeks, shooting lots of bird images. It is a lot smaller and lighter than any laptop or netbook, and a lot more rugged than anything short of the Toshiba "armored" laptop series. Costs a lot less, too.

6:46 p.m. on May 14, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

Well, I got the sleeve in, and I can already tell it's going to outlive my current laptop; it's very well constructed, with every exterior surface covered in (1000 denier?) ballistic nylon, and the bottom reinforced with an even burlier fabric called Indium (ostensibly where the warmer, "rear" of the laptop would rest). The covering flap creates a full seal around the laptop, though dust and such could still make it in the cracks I'm sure. This was not an issue for me, as I'll most often have the sleeve in some kind of backpack. The Velcro on the flap is about 1.5" wide, and 4" long, providing secure, rock-solid closure. Nothing but soft neoprene surrounds the computer, with no hardware, zippers, attachment points, or other errant bit of poor design to abrade one's laptop. So far it appears to be a very well thought-out product that's quite durable as well; that combo will get my money any day...

7:58 p.m. on May 14, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

If it is going in your pack, why bother with the extra bulk and weight of a sleeve? I used to mule around a large format monorail camera, wrapping it in my sleeping bag. Surely if an instrument as fragile as that camera can be safely toted hundreds of miles, in such a manner, so can a notebook PC. Just a thought.
Ed

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply