Light version of this model

10:33 p.m. on May 10, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Does anyone know of a tent that is designed like the Sierra Designs Omega 2. I was in one this weekend and it was perfect other than the weight. I think 7lb weight is too much for bakpacking right?

12:42 a.m. on May 11, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

"designed like" meaning "similar in function/setup" or "has similar dimensions"? You really can't get both...

For the former: Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 or MSR Hubba Hubba

Later: Maybe an REI Halfdome?

The thing is, a lighter Omega 2 doesn't exist. 7lbs is pretty awesome for what the Omega does at that price. To go lighter would be to compromise on structural integrity, durability, floor space, or a combination of all three. So, you have to pick what you want to give up...or be ready to spend $600. (And even then you're only gonna save about a pound)

7:09 a.m. on May 11, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Thanks Pillow.

I meant the shape of the tent. The internal space was perfect, just right. I think it had to do with the pole structure. Would you recommend the Omega 2 as a backpacking tent? I have an unused Marmot Limelight 3 and I was thinking about taking it back when I seen this tent. I am just not sure about the weight. Are you familiar with the pack size on the Omega?

7:46 a.m. on May 11, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

The Limelight is a fine tent too, why trade it in for the Omega (BTW Omega 2 is discontinued). There are many ultralight two person tents that weigh less and have simular internal spacial accomodations, if weight is your main issue. But these lighter tents are 3-season tents. If you are snow camping or may find yourself in high winds, you will need a heavier tent to withstand the elements.
Ed

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply