Synthetic fill that doesn't die after a couple of years ?

7:18 p.m. on May 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hi, I've been searching like a madman to try and find a good synthetic bag for around 0-15F.

I've found what seem to be some good bags (MH Lamina (ThermoMicric), TNF ShowShoe (Cilmashield)), but people say they loose their loft and their warmth after not too long at all.

I'd love a down bag, but my GF is very allergic to them!

Does anyone know of a good synthetic fill that doesn't go bad too quickly?? I'm trying to keep it under the $200'ish budget.

Thanks

8:03 p.m. on May 12, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,080 forum posts

I dont know if anyone makes it anymore, but I used to have a bag with Dupont Holofil, synthetic fill that simulates animal hair with hollow tiny tubes. I used mine for many years before getting my current Golite bag of down. And it (holofill) compressed like down. Mine was rated to 5 degrees and I used it about 10 years with no loft change, they are completely washable.

Not sure a manufacturer....let me look. Here is what I found...

http://www.moshannonfalls.com/how-to-choose-the-right-sleeping-bag

This page linkabove tells of sleeping bags with Holofil

http://www.campgeardirect.com/sleeping_bags.html

This one above sells different bags that are light as synthetic can be bags. Click on Sleeping Gear on the left side of webpage above.

Example from above link.

Black Pine Sports 10° Micro-Fibre Nirvana Mummy Bag $66.00
Free compression sack Bag dimensions: Length 88", Shoulders 35", Foot 23" Bag weight 4.6 lbs Fill weight 3.5 lbs Pack size 16" x 10

8:11 p.m. on May 12, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

yuo might try wiggys lamilite bags, Ive been using one for over a year with no problems.

9:13 p.m. on May 12, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,255 forum posts

Among the synthetic fills, the one most like down in warmth for weight, compressability, and longevity is Primaloft. My oldest Primaloft bag is now close to 20 years old and my newest (by Integral Designs) is getting close to 10 years old. Both have retained most of their loft, particularly recovering after being washed with a "down wash". We have several Primaloft jackets and vests in the house, again in good shape after many years of hard use.

Although one of my bags was from Marmot, I would stick with Integral Designs because of the much higher quality.

Over the years I have had and observed among students in my winter camping and "50-miler" courses bags made with just about all the currently available (and many no-longer available) synthetic fills. The current Hollofills (several varieties) are ok, but do not by a long shot come close to Primaloft. Quallofill is the heaviest and shortest lived of the widely used synth.

I would avoid Wiggy's bags like the plague. If for some reason, you want a bag of lesser quality than ID, Marmot and Big Agnes are fairly good, better than TNF or Sierra Designs. You can find Marmot and TNF bags on closeout and on sales at relatively cheap prices

10:01 p.m. on May 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks for the reply guys,

The DuPont stuff looks good. If I could get one with the right weight I'd be very keen I think.

That's good to hear that PrimaLoft stands up well. To be honest I wouldn't use it that often, so the highest quality wouldn't really be needed.

10:11 p.m. on May 12, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

you mentioned the MH lamina...

my lamina is 3 years old. i use at a minimum of 1 weekend (usually 2 weekends) a month. and it's in near perfect condition. i've never washed mine, and store it hanging. it's been pretty good for me

10:57 p.m. on May 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Re the Lamina, I aws reading it here http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Mountain-Hardwear-Lamina-0-Sleeping-Bag-0-Degree-Synthetic/MHW0190M.html

And I have since read it about some other synthetic fills as well.

6:18 p.m. on May 13, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

the higher-quality synthetic fill bags can last a very long time if you take care of them - hanging them, uncompressed, between trips (rather than storing in a storage bag or stuff sack) will greatly enhance their lifespan. primaloft has been improved a fair amount over the years, it's a good choice.

1:43 p.m. on May 16, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

What, no one is going to suggest a new GF?

3:32 p.m. on May 16, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I agree with BillS, as I usually do and I have four synthetic bags, all with Primaloft, two ID, one Wildthings "Elephants foot" and an Exped Wallcreeper. The WT and Exped bags plus my hooded ID Dolomite parka are my serious cold weather emergency cocoon and with an ID Bugaboo eVent bivy and a Z-Lite short plus two GG Torsolite pads, I can handle any conditions found in northern and western Canada. Yes, I KNOW there are "lighter" setups, but, nothing I know of is as versatile and "wetproof" as this.

I had a Wiggy's bag and used it in comparison with my ID North Twin, which is the same overall weight. Wiggy and his Alaskan dealer both told me that Primaloft is "garbage" and my bags could not possibly compare to a "ta ra" Wiggy's, so, I dammed well got the Wigsack and tried them side by side, outside under a tarp in 10*F weather at night. It is to laugh, ID are about the finest bags, overall, I have ever used and only my Valandre Shocking Blue is a bit better in design and the Wigsack, well, not so much.........

I store and care for my Pl. bags as I do my costly down bags and they seem to be lasting very well. Old Greybeard here knows his stuff and you cannot beat an ID, the workmanship and design and performance are topnotch.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply