Bivy Selection

1:29 a.m. on May 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

I am looking into getting a bivy to use under a tarp for lightweight backpacking trips, I have narrowed my selection to the REI Minimalist bivy or the Equinox Sprawler Ultralite bivy. I have found many good reviews for the REI bivy, but I would like to know if anyone has any info on the Equinox bivy?
This will be my first bivy, so I am not trying to spend a ton of money. I will be using this bivy, as you would guess, in the South Eastern U.S. in three season conditions. Any opinions or other bivy suggestions would be appreciated.

3:38 a.m. on May 19, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

What is the intended purpose of the bivi (e.g. escape bugs, rain, cold, protect bag from ground, etc.)?
Ed

2:08 p.m. on May 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

It's main purpose would be for escaping bugs and protecting my bag from rain and the ground.

2:41 p.m. on May 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Primarily, a bivy sack is made to act as a cover around your sleeping bag to keep warmth in during the cold night and keep water out. They are generally used along with ground tarps and lightweight shelters overhead or in snow caves and other like shelters.

Towards SouthEastHiker, I would personally suggest the NEMO GoGo Bivy. It is more of a bivy shelter but it is very lightweight and has the unique air beam system that I have heard good things about. It is a little on the pricey side but may be worth it for long term use.

6:18 p.m. on May 19, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

A sufficient sized tarp should protect you from rain; otherwise why bring it in the first place. If you need a bivy plus tarp for rain, you will probably find the results fall short of your objectives. If you are trying to protect against horizontal rain, you are better off with a lightweight tent.

As for covering the ground, a tarp with a footprint large enough for your sleeping bag is cheaper and less humid than a bivy. You can even use a space blanket for this purpose if you want something ultra light.

There are personal bug net canopies that look like mini dome tents – just big enough to fit over your head and chest area – that are great for the bug problem.
Ed

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply