Cot Recommendation

11:48 a.m. on May 18, 2010 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

I recently purchased a new tent for car camping and looking for new cots. Any recommedations? I was thinking of going with a blow up mattress but would like to get off the ground. especially for sitting around and getting dressed.

3:22 p.m. on May 18, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I bought one like this from walmart a couple years ago for $50. I've been much happier with it than I was an air mattress. There are also simular ones with shorter lags if your tent is not very tall. I think that the important thing to remember is not to get one with legs that will damage your tent. The legs on this one has not harmed mine at all after many uses.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-C216B700-Bunkhouse-Deluxe-Bed/dp/B0009PUR36/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1274210293&sr=1-34

7:47 a.m. on May 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

i saw some good review for this on amazon you can check out http://www.amazon.com/Blantex-XK-3-Heavy-Folding-2-Inch/dp/B000WUM5Q0/ref=pd_sbs_sg_5 see if you like it :)

10:10 p.m. on May 27, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Definitely a cot over a blow up mattress! A cot doesn't need to be inflated and will never deflate on you.

Those suggested cots look comfy but even when folded they'll take up a lot of space. I do a fair amount of car camping as a scout leader and when I'm driving 2 or 3 boys with our packs, chairs, tents, sleeping bags, etc., I would not be able to pack a cot that big, let alone one for each of us.

When we're car camping I use one of these:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3179686&cp=2367438.2367824.2782295.2782298

For about $50, the fabric, stretched tight as a drum on a lightweight aluminum frame, is quite comfy. It's spacious at 79" x 32", yet just fits length-wise in my North Face Rock22 tent.

It packs down to about 4" x 8" x 40" or about the size of those ubiquitous folding fabric chairs, and only weighs about 15 lbs.

The rubber covered legs are tent friendly as long as the ground underneath the tent isn't rocky and sharp. At almost 18" off the ground it also gives me room to put my pack and other gear underneath keeping my tent less cluttered.

Some brands even include a multipocket organizer that hangs off one side to keep flashlights, glasses, cellphones and stuff handy.

For future backpacking camping trips I just picked up one of these:

http://www.luxurylite.com/cotindex.html

At about $215, it's a bit pricey but at 2lbs 12ozs, it weighs about half an equivalently sized, $150 ThermaRest LuxuryCamp Self Inflating Sleeping Pad at 5lbs 1oz, which I was thinking of getting.

This decent sized 74" x 24" cot is as comfy as the bigger cot, keeps you 4.5" off the ground and packs down to a mere 16" x 5" log.

If you'll only do car camping, I'd recommend the $50 cot- you'll save money and space, leaving plenty of room for other gear in your trunk.

If you'll also be doing backpacking I'd go straight to the LuxuryLite, which saves weight and space, albeit at a premium.

In either case, you'll be off the ground, you won't have to inflate or deflate them and punctures won't render them useless.

9:03 a.m. on May 28, 2010 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
95 forum posts

If I were to buy a cot I would probably get the Byer of Maine Allagash cot. Can be had for about $50.

10:48 a.m. on May 28, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Yes, that's another good choice in the $50 range. Folds down to the same size as the Field & Stream and weighs only 8lbs. I actually checked one out at Campmor but I had difficulty bending the spring steel legs into the mounting holes. I found the F&S much easier to setup.

Being only 8" off the ground, it's especially good for tents with low headroom, but you can't stow much underneath it... other than shoes.

10:56 a.m. on May 28, 2010 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
95 forum posts

But I would imagine if you are bringing a cot you aren't too concerned with weight and are probably hauling a bigger tent. Well I know I would only haul a cot if I was car camping, setting up a basecamp, or using a pulk for a winter trek.

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply