Aarn Bodypacks

10:52 p.m. on May 25, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

I saw an article today in the local paper for this new piece of kit and I was wondering if any of the gear junkies out there already have one, or are looking at it? It reminds me of several fly fishing packs I've seen, but never considered using. Thoughts?

http://www.aarnusa.com/default.htm

1:21 a.m. on May 26, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Hi RWD,

I have not tried an Aarn Bodypack, I have seen them or at least something very similar on trails a couple times. The concept makes sense to me, I have augmented my pack a few times by strapping a smaller day pack to the front side while hiking longer distances, I usually did this with my food cache and fishing gear. I got the idea from seeing others do it.

I would love to try one out.

8:14 a.m. on May 26, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,279 forum posts

An interesting concept. I would have three concerns:

1. The effect covering more surface area of your body may have on staying cool.

2. The front panniers may block your ability to spot foot placements on the trail when negotiating rough terrain.

3. Effectivness of the hip belt may be compromised, such as inability to support the lion’s share of the load, buckling/unbuckling.
Ed

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply