UPDATE: dog pack recommendations - Ruff Wear Palisades vs Kelty "Chuck Wagon"

10:36 p.m. on June 7, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

To all that assisted with dog pack recommendations ... thank you so much!

the subject is closed from my previous posting - however, i wanted to comment/review the pack recommended.

I just received Tucker's (yellow lab) Palisades dog pack. It's remarkable! It fits, sits, hugs far better than the Kelty dog pack [I think the "Chuck Wagon" not 100% sure] I have for Griffin (black lab).

You probably can't tell how well the fit from the pictures. (or the difference)

Notes [if you care]:

1. Removable: Both packs are removable from the harness - This, in my opinion, is required [great plus for letting them swim, chill, take a break]. The Kelty is attached by a large velcro patch on top of harness, the Ruff Wear by standard "clips". I like the clips better - because it assures the pack goes back on appropriately, weight distributed evenly on either side. I feel I'm always adjusting Griffin's pack when I put it back on after a random swim.

2. Size adjusting straps: The Kelty adjusting straps "dangle". I find I'm always trying to "tuck" them in as we hike/camp. The Ruff Wear's pack don't "dangle" - it's sewn to its adjusting strap and adjusting is still as easy. This is a big plus.

3. Comfort: there appears to be far more padding and attention to where the straps could irritate your dog on long hikes/trips with the Ruff Wear. The Ruff Wear has thorough padding that follows around the dog's underside.

4. Space [Cu in]: Though you may not be able to tell from photos here or online, there is far more pack space in the Ruff Wear pack. Kelty Medium is 500-620 cu. in. The Ruff Wear medium is 793 cu. in.

5. Water: Palisades come with two "camelbak" type bladders - cool feature - but seems a bit much. I'm wondering if the price of the pack would drop considerably if this was left out?

6. Price: Kelty - I spent around $40-50 [ too long ago to remember]. Ruff Wear - $100 [most places, retail is $124]. Is the Ruff Wear worth the price? Yes, absolutely, for long, several day/weekend trips. If you're on a budget, the Kelty is just fine for weekend trips [if you don't mind doing the above mentioned].

This is just my personal opinion. I am extremely happy with the Palisades. Griffin will get one as well, after I upgrade my water filter. :)

Thanks again everyone for previous posts about dog pack recommendations!

1:26 a.m. on June 8, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Very nice doggies, and all ready to go.

I'm glad the pack you chose worked out well for you, that's good to hear, keep us updated.

9:17 a.m. on June 8, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

Had you not specified each dog's color I was going to comment on the effectiveness of your camera's flash in illuminating your black dog in the final picture. =)

That's good info on the dog packs. I don't think I'd have considered dangling straps to be a nuissance, but for creatures that exist much closer to the ground I can see why that's such a consideration.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply