Garmin 60CSx question

8:08 a.m. on June 11, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

i like and use the trip computer for training. it gives pretty accurate reads for time, distance, miles per hour, altimeter if calibrated. even records and automatically factors in stoppage time.

is there a way to 'stop the clock' if i'm through but want to preserve the data? i can't seem to figure out a way to pause or stop the time, other than turning the device off.

thanks!

9:00 a.m. on June 11, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

I don't think there's anyway to stage the trip data for export, but I know you can export the track data. The track data contains all the data points any GPS management software should need to calculate trip data. Just beware that "saving" the current track to a file on the device severly compresses it. The track gets distilled to a 500-point or less track that represents an approximation of your track.

I do something similar to this to record my trail travels, and what I do is reset the track log at the trailhead and power down the device at the trail exit and overnight if I'm camping. I can then export the uncompressed active track from the device to my laptop once I get home and get the full detail of the track in a file that I can load into EasyGPS. It isn't ideal by any stretch, but it works.

3:54 p.m. on June 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Do you need a stopwatch? If so there should be one on your main menu page.

I just bought one of these on deep discount from REI, so I'm having quite a bit of fun with it.

2:44 p.m. on June 14, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

On the 60CSx, when the unit is off, the clock is not running. Also, you can change the information displays to show only "time moving" ("time stationary" is another option). If the tracking is turned off, Trip Time (total time of the track), Moving Time, and Stopped Time are all stopped - they only go when you have tracking turned on. You can read all the values off by going to the trip info page, push the Menu button, select Change Info Fields and Enter, then select the field you want to change (to review the info, any field will do), and Enter. Scroll through the fields and select what you want, Enter, copy the info by hand, hit Enter again, select the next piece of information, and repeat until you have everything you want of that trip. Current elevation is the only thing that keeps running, so the elevation-related data change as well - current, max, min, total climb, total descent.

You can get a lot of the information by downloading with MapSource (Garmin proprietary) or a program like National Geographic's Topo! or Delorme's Topo North America (version 9 is supposed to be released very soon, like within a few days). In those programs, you can look at altitude at any time along the track (MapSource and Delorme's give you a graph of both the recorded altitude and the map altitude), as well as climb and descent, gradient, time between points (scroll along the track and profile to select the times).

1:55 p.m. on June 16, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

that's what i was looking for - thanks!

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply