Gators :V

2:31 p.m. on June 28, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Hey

So i have used some homemade gators that my parents have in the garage in previous hikes in the snow but they are getting worn out and I want to buy pair of gators for myself. I have read lots of reviews and gone to the store to try on a few pairs.

However I have encountered the problem of having decently big boots (10-11) and skinny legs/calfs so the gator fits either my boot or my leg but I havent found one that does both. (dont want the gators to be falling down or it ruins the purpose of having them.

Just curious if others have experienced this and what they did or if there are a specific pair of gators I shoudl give a try.

Thanks

3:22 p.m. on June 28, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

Most commercially made gaiters (the correct spelling) have a drawstring or adjustable strap at the top. I have a number of pairs of gaiters for various purposes (general hiking in dusty areas, snow travel, gaiters for competitive orienteering with plastic shields along the shinbone, low top, high top, shaped for use with expedition double plastic boots, "supergaiters" with a fitted rubber rand to cover the whole boot except for the sole, etc etc). And several brands - I mostly use Outdoor Research's Crocodiles, Expedition Crocodiles, or Rocky Mountain Low, depending on where I am going. I used to use Black Diamond SuperGaiters, but BD doesn't make them anymore. For general bushbeating, I have a couple beat-up REI label ones. That doesn't include the overboots for extreme cold snow and ice conditions.

4:11 p.m. on June 28, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
637 reviewer rep
674 forum posts

I'll second the Crocodiles. Pricey, but I have a pair that is 20+ years old. I've replaced the Velcro twice and the camlocks at the top once, added snaps to keep them form opening up at the bottom, reinforced the main wear area where it faces the other boot with Hypalon patches, and they just keep on truckin'. I'm a tall, skinny, big-footed guy and have no complaints about the fit.

4:17 p.m. on June 28, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

+1 on the OR Crocs, awesome gaiters. Hands down best I have ever used.

5:43 p.m. on June 28, 2010 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Love the crocs.

1:19 a.m. on June 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

lol the crocs are one of the ones i tried, I am maxing out the strap on the top just to get it even close to a snug fit on top, that is without a thicker pair of rain pants but that isnt too much thicker. I will have 2 see what I can do and maybe try them again but the fit appeared off 2 me last time. (only for me personally I have heard great things about them overall, and I could have done something wrong as well)

5:14 a.m. on June 29, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
637 reviewer rep
674 forum posts

Maybe they've "upsized" them over the years? Like my new Levis -- nominally the same size as they older ones but they hang pretty low on the waist.

Sometimes I have to accordion the nylon along the strap to get them tight enough around the calf, but they stay up.

11:17 a.m. on June 29, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

i use expedition crocodiles with winter boots, they're great. the top adjusts via a velcro strip. the strap underfoot is particularly sturdy, lasts longer than most.

for regular boots, i have a low pair of REI-brand gaiters and a tall pair of Mountain Hardwear nutshells - so old that the inner coating is starting to separate from the nylon. both have an elastic shock-cord with a hard plastic cord-lock to tighten them at the top - that may work better than velcro for you. both have held up pretty well.

11:42 a.m. on June 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Ah a drawstring might be nice, the crocs seem great being goretex but the nylon might stay cooler since I am often hiking in snow during warmer weather. As long as they are pretty snow/water proof and they remain that way for a while that sounds like it might work great. Will have to give them a try on.

11:56 a.m. on June 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

just looking at a few more pairs of gators and since I am often doing summer hiking would outdoor research verglas work better? and could they stand up to a tougher challenge like a rainier hike or lower peaks if I wanted to?

1:07 p.m. on June 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I've used a pair by Granite Gear for many years and they work fine. I just checked their website and they are no longer made. If I were buying new I'd go with the OR Croc's.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply