About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

camelbak/platy blowback in hot weather

5:15 p.m. on July 5, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,249 forum posts

someone raised an interesting point somewhere - what about the water in your camelbak/platypus tube. on a hot day, that first sip of water is balmy, even if you have half-filled the bladder with ice or frozen half the water overnight. the water in the tube heats up. yuck. to combat this, i sometimes load up a nalgene with ice or cold streamwater and put it in the winter insulated carrier. keeps it cold all day.

today, out in 97 degree humid nastiness, i filled a 100 oz. camelbak with icewater, and after each sip, i waited a second, then blew back into the tube, purged the water back into the reservoir. worked amazingly well - everything stayed cold, no water in the tube in between drinks. i have gotten used to the hot weather here, so i was fine otherwise, but i definitely noticed the lukewarm drink when i forgot to purge the tube once.

one interesting side-effect is that the bladder was almost fully inflated when i got home from the air i blew back in. guess i'll have to moderate that or vent the bladder at some point.

12:49 a.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

I was taught to do this on my first backpacking trip. It definitely improves the next drink you take!

6:17 a.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

Hmmm...
Note to self: politely decline all invitations to drink from others' water bladders.
Ed

3:09 p.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

I have the hose insulation kit on my Camelbak, but I've made it a habit to "blowback" water back into the reservoir and not leave it in the hose. I do this primarily to reduce leakage from the bite valve, but you've brought up a great unintended side-effect that I had not considered.

5:52 p.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

I do something similar to the blowback technique because occasionally I get the mouthpiece stuck and it will leak water on me...haha but that is just carelessness. So i have gotten into the habit of after a drink I take the hose in my hand raise it in the air and pinch the bite-piece. It sends the water back down the hose pretty well and the bladder doesnt fill with air. (occasionally get a tad bit of warmer water but its quickly followed by the colder water from the bladder, so I dont mind.)

7:35 p.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,929 forum posts

I insulate my camelbak and water bottles in a towel wrapped around them and it insulates the water all day. I usually start with a frozen water bottle or camelbak, just dont fill the bottle/back up completely or it may burst as the water freezes and expands. I also miss hiking and living back in Jackson Hole where even in late summer there is still snow in the high country to add to my water bottle and camelbak later in the day.

7:52 p.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
1,684 reviewer rep
1,277 forum posts

Blowback can cause increased mildew and bacteria growth inside the bladder, so bear that in mind. Not a big deal, just will have to clean the bladder more often.

11:34 p.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
476 reviewer rep
283 forum posts

LOL@ whomeworry!

9:27 a.m. on July 9, 2010 (EDT)
2,264 reviewer rep
1,249 forum posts

it's air going back into the tube, not spit. the real problem is sharing water bottles - much more likely to get backwash than a bladder.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply