filling non-standard bottle with MSR Miniworks

10:23 p.m. on July 6, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,303 forum posts

In the category of "why re-invent the wheel", I'm curious what solutions you've all found to use an MSR Miniworks filter with something other than a standard Nalgene wide mouth bottle. By using a store water bottle there's a 1/3lb weight savings over a 1L Nalgene bottle (1 oz vs 6 oz). And I was carrying two of these... But the Nalgene is super convenient as the Miniworks screws right onto it.

What are you'all doing to adapt the Miniworks to the small-mouth store bottles? Or do you all just carry the extra 1/3 lb (X however many bottles you carry)?

I've looked around for an adapter but haven't found one yet (and needless to say it would need to be quite lightweight to be worthwhile...

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

hmmm i wasn't sure if "gear selection" was the right place for this ... or maybe "Backcountry" .... Ed. feel free to move as appropriate, thanks

6:16 a.m. on July 7, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

My Dad has a plastic welder and he made me an adapter. It's quite a neat little contraption. It is basically the threaded portion to screw in with a small funnel shaped bottom. Works great. I might be able to convince him to make you one....

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply