preventing pack chafing in fastpacking/trailrunning

6:16 p.m. on July 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

What would folks suggest to prevent chafing and cushion pressure from an ultralight Gregory pack I'm going to be wearing to cover 15-25 miles per day over four days in a trail running expedition race (similar to fastpacking in actual pace, as we will be carrying 20 pounds or so of food and gear throughout)?

In training for this event with 20 or more pounds of weight in this pack (kitty litter and hydration bladder), I experience a little pressure where the straps go over the front of the armpit and in the sternum. Granted, the pack will ride better when the actual contents of the pack for the race (freeze dried food, layers, sleeping pad, etc.) distribute their weight better than the bulky kitty litter I use for training. I use Body Gluide, and haven't experienced chafing per se at up to 6 hours, but anticipate it could be different after long, consecutive days.

Experts at Eastern Mountain Sports say this pack should just be able to handle the weight and volume. The wraptor straps gives me a third way to tighten it ("vertically") which means it hugs the body as you run/powerhike with no bouncing. Any other pack would be heavier and defeat the purpose.

Any experience out there with placing lambswool or chamois cloth or anything else under the straps? It's as much to relieve pressure and pinching (which are occasional not constant) as to forestall any eventual chafing issues.

Many thanks!

Scott

9:43 p.m. on July 14, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Running with a pack will subject you to abuses most of us don’t deal with. My main problem is chaffing on my hip points from a waist band when I hike. I find toughening up the area by repeated daily practice hikes prior to the trip helps alleviate this discomfort. I wouldn’t try additional padding, as it will contribute to overheating issues, and may reposition and add to your problem.
Ed

November 29, 2014
Quick Reply