MSR isopro with Primus Classic stove?

4:26 p.m. on July 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I have an older Primus Classic stove (about 10 years old) that I was using with the old Primus propane/butane mix canisters. I can't find them anywhere locally anymore.

However, MSR propane/butane mix canisters are available everywhere, and in all sorts of different sizes (tiny, small, and large), which I like.

I bought a small MSR canister today and tested it out with the old Primus Classic, it plugged in and fired up just fine. I'm just wondering if there is any long term damage and/or danger I need to be concerned about with using a MSR bottle with my Primus stove?

They both have the same connector (it appears to be identical anyways). Same fuel mix.

I attached some pics to make a visual comparison. Hopefully this thread is useful to anyone else using an older Primus stove as well.

8:36 p.m. on July 15, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

The connector on most compressed gas stoves and fuel canisters these days is an industry standard threaded connector variation of the Lindal valve design. A few years ago, there were some differences in the thread depth on some canisters. But for the past 10-15 years, everyone pretty much sticks to the standards.

The only variation that is anywhere close is the version used by Camping Gaz (Bleuet, a division of Coleman these days). It is virtually the same, except it has no threads. It is limited to only certain Gaz appliances.

There are some other connectors out there, but they are so different that you would be unlikely to get them to even come close to fitting to your stove.

In short, you can use any brand of compressed gas in any size canister, as long as it has the industry standard threaded connector - Primus, MSR, Markill, Snowpeak, Coleman, Brunton, Optimus, the SEAsian copies, the Sovenian versions. In 3-season temperatures, you can use the pure butane fills, and in cooler weather you can go to pure isopropane, butane/propane mixes, butane/isopropane mixes, butane/isopropane/propane mixes, isopropane/propane mixes (MSR and Markil are the most readily available propane/isopropane mix, and do work fairly well in fairly cold weather) in various proportions (the propane will have to be less than 30%, though, due to the required strength of the canister - higher percentages require a very thick-walled, very heavy canister, due to the pressure needed to liquify propane).

Be aware that the cost per ounce of the smaller containers is up to several times the cost of large containers (the tiny Snowpeak is incredibly expensive per ounce of fuel). Also be aware that because the "rubber" O-ring in the valve is what provides the seal and allows removing the canister for transport and wears with repeated attachment and removal, doing refills of the containers is tricky and not recommended (although Brunton sells a refilling attachment).

9:21 p.m. on July 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Thanks for the explanation Bill, that helps.

I also found this link, http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/canister_stove_faq.html, that also gives a great explanation.

Hopefully this is helpful to anyone else in this situation.

1:41 p.m. on July 17, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Well I ended up using it on the trail with the MSR ispro this weekend, no problems at all, boiled all the water I needed with no gas leaks.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply