Iceland tent

10:59 a.m. on July 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Im new here so....hello. Im looking for a tent near 300-350$ to take on a hike with my son. There seems to be hype around the Nemo Morpho AR, looks nice but Im not sure if it can withstand strong winds, near freezing temperature and bunch of rain.

Can anyone advise me on the Nemo or recommend other good brand that fits the bill.

Thank you

11:19 a.m. on July 22, 2010 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I bought my Mountain Hardwear Trango 2 for about $330 (new, but from the previous year). This thing can take wind, snow and rain with the best of them (I'm told it can withstand small nuclear explosions). I've made some poor decisions in camp sites and have had rain puddling all around the tent and have yet to have water in the tent.

I broke a pole above treeline not far from Mt. Washington and Mountain Hardwear told me to send the section in for a free repair. Upon telling them that I would not receive it back in time for an upcoming trip, they just sent me out a replacement section (two actually) free of charge.

Here's the bad, it is a back breaking 11 lbs and is way too hot in the summer. Then again, its purpose is as a mountaineering tent, not a general purpose backpacking tent.

Nemo has some awesome looking tents. As soon as I have an extra 3-400 bucks, I will probably try to snag one, likely the Morpho or Meta.

12:51 p.m. on July 22, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,120 forum posts

I think most tents will withstand the freezing and heavy rain, but any good domestyle tent is best for high winds. Check out some of the companys that make tents for mountaineering. I have a North Face Mtn 25 which is good for everest so it will last me thru many years of alpine weather.

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply