brunton raptor fuel canister help

12:45 p.m. on July 24, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I just got a brunton raptor but they don't sell the isobutane 4oz canisters in hawaii!

They do sell the propane coleman tanks at walmart though. But the adapter where you screw them together is different. Anyone know where I can find an adapter?

2:04 p.m. on July 24, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts

The Brunton Raptor takes the industry standard threaded canisters. If you really want to spend the exorbitant cost per ounce of fuel that the 4 ounce canisters are, you can use Snowpeak and a couple of other brands that make this hyperexpensive packaging. However, it also fits the 8 and 16 ounce (far far cheaper per ounce of fuel) from Primus, MSR, Markill (the Raptor is actually made by Markill), Snowpeak, a Slovenian company, several SE Asian companies, etc etc. Coleman does make a line of canisters that fit as well (one of 5 different connector systems for their butane/isobutane stoves - be sure you get the correct one for your stove!).

The canisters you want have butane and/or isobutane, usually mixed with a small amount (20% or less) propane. You do NOT want to even try using pure propane - the jet size is wrong. So don't waste time trying to find or make an adapter for the propane tanks.

There is a very similar looking canister series (270 and 470 series) that has an non-threaded version of the same connector from Camping Gaz (Bleuet). Camping Gaz is owned by Coleman. The canisters contain a butane/propane mix, which would work well enough. However, the connector does not mate. This may be the one you were looking at, except that it is a butane mix, not pure propane.

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply