About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Compass: Charting the Evolution of Outdoor Gear

10:27 p.m. on July 25, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,929 forum posts

http://homepage.mac.com/inov8/Compass/compass.html

Check out the above link to the history of modern outdoor gear.

1:48 p.m. on July 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

The site is getting better, he slowly but steadily adds more pages.

7:46 p.m. on July 28, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Thanks for sharing that link, Gary. I hadn't been to the site before, but it looks really interesting. I'll have to take some time to read more of it.

9:06 p.m. on July 28, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

Interesting. There are some errors and some internal contradictions, though. For example, on the Silva product page in the historical listing, one of the Kjellstrom clan is credited in 1933 with developing the liquid filled compass for orienteering, but on the overall history page, it lists the introduction of the Silva liquid-filled compass for orienteering as 1963 (the Kjellstrom family were closely involved with Silva from the beginning of the company in the 19th century, and Bjorn Kjellstrom's classic map and compass book is still one of the best for learning the basics).

Another sort-of error is that the history list implies that chocks were originated by Chouinard in the early 1970s. In fact, that is when Chouinard introduced the Hexcentric and Stopper (1972), a significant innovation, but not the first chocks, and not even the first chocks in the US. The Brits started using nuts (actual machine nuts, still with their threads) much earlier in Llanberis Pass area for climbing on Cloggy. I first became acquainted with them in manufactured form (made by Joe Brown) in 1964, and many of us in Southern California and Yosemite were using them for clean climbing through the late 1960s. I still have a number of the Clogs I got back then.

Still, this is a great compilation in one place. He does post that this is a work in progress and inevitably has some errors and omissions. When I have time, I will send him some photos and information.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply