Best Sleep Pad

1:33 p.m. on July 27, 2010 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

for car camping ? Weight doesn't matter - but comfort and durability is a must. There is two of us plus a 90 pound Lab that will be sleeping on it. Getting too old and brittle and need a bit of comfort and really like bringing my dog on our outings. Any suggestions appreciated-Thanks

2:01 p.m. on July 27, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

How big a tent do you have? Maybe one of the airbeds is the answer. We got one at REI to use as a "guest bed" at home. It's queen size and didn't cost as much as some of the backpacking inflatables, including its battery-powered air pump. The air pump can be recharged from the included cigar lighter plug (although I suspect you need the car running to keep from depleting the car's battery). It is a bit bulky and heavy, but for strictly car camping, it might work. Too big for a 2 or even 3 person backpacking tent, though it would fit in our Eureka WindRiver 4-person tent that we sometimes use for car camping.

4:37 p.m. on July 27, 2010 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Great idea Bill-I have a 6 man Alps that isn't top of the line- but it works. I'll take a peek- any other ideas folks ? Thanks to all!

6:12 p.m. on July 27, 2010 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
62 forum posts

If you are just car camping and space/weight is not a major concern, just get one of the budget full/queen air mattresses at REI. Heck, even the 'cheap' Coleman one's from Walmart will work for you.

5:32 a.m. on July 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

That's a good idea for our storm-proven Hilleberg Atlas - it is a really big tent, that we use when weight is of no concern:

http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-69/Hilleberg-Atlas-Basic-Tent/Detail.bok

3:42 a.m. on July 30, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

My wife and I have matching Alps Mountaineering Summit series XXL air pads for our everyday beds, that we also use for car camping. They measure 77" x 30" x 4," and have a raised pillow section 5" thick. They weigh about 8lbs. each, and provide me a night's rest as good as any bed. They seem to be made with durable fabrics. I got them at Sierratradingpost.com for $70 apiece.

11:04 p.m. on July 31, 2010 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

When backpacking I use a combination of a basic closed cell foam pad and a big agnes iron mountain air pad.

Depending on when and where you camp, I think the closed cell foam pad is a necessity - it reflects heat back up to you that would otherwise be sucked into the ground - unfortunately, air mattresses don't do that.

The only issue with basic foam pads is that they provide no comfort. So on top of that I use the big agnes pad which inflates to 2.5 inches thick with about 20 breathes, and folds up tiny in my back when deflated.

12:54 p.m. on August 1, 2010 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
12:57 p.m. on August 1, 2010 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Oh I didn't realize the size needs. I just woke up, sorry.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply