Scarpa Inverno's

10:50 p.m. on July 31, 2010 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

Hi everyone,

I have the Scarpa Inverno mountaineering boots. The inner liner fits perfectly, but I feel like the outer plastic boot is a little clunkier than it should be because it seems to be a little loose fitting with the liner.

Should I stuff some socks in the toes between the liner and plastic boot to increase a tight fit, or do you have any other suggestions?

I did use these for a semi-technical climb up a glacial ice slide with some slopes reaching 45-55 degrees, but they felt a little loose while this was happening. Luckily I never had to front point as I think they would have been too loose for that.

11:59 a.m. on August 2, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

What you are describing is pretty common for plastic boots - they feel loose, a little 'sloppy,' the heels might lift up a little while you're walking around. that's how they are designed - the extra room helps keep your feet from getting frozen and accommodates swelling, which is also normal, especially at altitude. as you have probably experienced, if you tie them too tightly, your shins tend to take a beating, yet your foot still feels somewhat loose. i use the Inverno, have two liners - a 'plain' one and a 'high altitude.' i think the latter is now the standard lining, and it has slightly more volume than the 'plain.' but your feel still feel loose.

i would be careful about stuffing anything into the boot because it could affect blood circulation to your feet. perhaps strategic placement of some small pieces of foam, with an adhesive back, on the inside of the plastic boot would help the fit a little, but i would leave that to someone who knows what they are doing, or test your own skills in situations where you're not putting your toes at risk.

if you do enough semi-technical or technical ice, you might consider a closer-fitting pair that's better designed for ice climbing. the scarpa omega is a plastic boot too, but it's a closer fit.

4:05 p.m. on August 2, 2010 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

awesome thanks for the info. my biggest concern is that I know the Inverno is capable of some pretty big time mountaineering, and I want to eventually wear them on some "lower" elevation Himalayan mountains. Some reviews discuss trips to 25000 feet with these, and yes I do have the high elevation liners. After spending over $300 on boots, I refuse to believe I would need to get any others for any semi-technical...or even technical routes. I won't be doing vertical ice climbing - that's not my forte - just technical mountaineering with mixed terrain.

Another thought I had was over boots. While the main purpose of these is to add more warmth and an integrated gaiter, I realized that maybe these would make the whole package a little more stable as well when crampons are being used - it's wraps everything up in a neat package that can't separate at all, even if a little loose.

5:07 p.m. on August 2, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

Overboots, unless they are fit really really well, make it much more likely to pop a crampon off the boot, IMHO. Nice thing about the Inverno (I have a pair), the crampon shelf is huge. You lose that with an over boot. Not that it can't be mitigated.

To take up the volume, I'd look into a different, thicker footbed like the red Superfeet. Might consider a shim or two as well. A good boot fitter can do wonders.

9:51 p.m. on August 2, 2010 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

thanks Brian. I will look into some fillers of some kind at EMS where the boots were purchased.

8:04 a.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

overboots can interfere with the way crampons fit with the inverno, that's true. i have worn them with a pair of mountain hardwear absolute zero overboots, with some extra foam i added (the MH overboot doesn't have great insulation), and i needed to go with strap crampons. if you want to stick with step-in crampons and an overboot, think about a close-fitting model like the forty below purple haze and definitely check the fit of your crampons before doing a substantial climb.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply