What Happened to the Kelty Cloud 5250?

7:39 p.m. on August 3, 2010 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

I can't find any info on this pack online, no one sells it, and it's no longer on the kelty website. I'm certainly not in the market for it (way too much pack for me right now) but I was interested in the Spectra fabric.

7:59 p.m. on August 3, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Maybe it was replaced by the Kelty Red Cloud? There are a few sized 5-5600ci

9:57 p.m. on August 3, 2010 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

I don't know...the Kelty Cloud retailed for something to the tune of $600; it seemed to be the Magnum Opus of the Kelty line. I think the Red Clouds have been around for a bit, but I am not positive.

7:58 a.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

Wild Things gear makes the Andinista in spectra. similar volume to the smaller Kelty Cloud (i think they made a 6000+ cloud at some point), but it's a different kind of pack, made for mountaineering and frameless, so you have to pack wisely and keep the load manageable. McHale packs is a custom operation and will make you a pack out of spectra (he calls it dyneema, it's a different brand name for the same type of fabric) - expensive, but people who have them uniformly say they're great.

3:18 p.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Forgive my ignorance, but what is Spectra/dyneema? Can't say I have ever heard of it.

4:01 p.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

Spectra fabric is (pound for pound) ten times stronger than steel and is one of the highest strength-to-weight rations of any man made fiber. It also floats and is super resistant to chemicals and UV light (source: http://www.warwickmills.com/Spectra.aspx). Apparently, it is so tough that it won't even hold a dye, thus it is white. Warwick Mills' website also states that it has developed an even better fiber called Vectran.

Leadbelly: thanks for the info.

2:49 p.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

it appears mchale packs has figured out a way to dye dyneema/spectra.

http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/detail/fabric_colors.htm

also, having used dyneema grid (a small frameless daypack no longer in productin, the golite ion), it's a lightweight but highly durable fabric.

4:11 p.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

@ghost: From what I've heard, clouds are spectacular packs, used by SAR operators and the like (perhaps f klock can confirm?). The modular design makes them very versatile, perhaps more so than a similarly-sized Andinista, and for similar weight. If the spectra bug has bitten you well, you owe it to yourself to look at the packs at Cilogear.com as well.

If you're in that 99th percentile though, Mchale packs are the most custom, most expensive option I've seen.

Also, check out Z-packs.com, mountainlaureldesigns.com, sixmoondesigns.com, and ula-equipment.com for more spectra-employing packs.

8:10 p.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

pillowthread: thanks! I will check them out; window-shopping for gear is a hobby of mine. That being said, those are probably too much pack for me at the moment (my Deuter ACT Lite 65+10 will suffice for the time being). I hope to one day be man enough to wield such a weapon.

EDIT: WOW. The CiloGear NWD 75L worksack weighs in at 28 oz. Equally impressive is the weight of the price tag: $1,250.

http://cilogear.com/nwd75l.html

4:24 p.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Ghost, I copied your edit from your post from the other thread and deleted the thread to avoid confusion.

6:59 p.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

Jim S, who occasionally posts here, and I have Kelty Cloud packs. Neither of us paid anywhere near the $600 posted above. Jim posted this photo of me with mine in Crown Valley a while back.

2:27 p.m. on August 11, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I've seen various histories of the Cloud on different websites- look on www.backpacking.net for posts on the Cloud. Jim S posts there and that's who Bill is talking about. I've seen Jim's pack (went on a trip with him a few years ago).

The Red Cloud is not the Cloud, so don't get confused. Kelty may still make the Cloud, but you'd have to call them to find out. The last time I saw it on their website was maybe two years ago.

I have a lightweight Kelty, but it isn't a Cloud. The fabric is blue and it's modular, somewhat like the Cloud. No idea what model it is or what the fabric is. It hasn't been made for years.

This site seems to be the definitive site about the Cloud models, but I'd ignore the "On Sale" because that info is long out of date. Much of the info appears to have been gathered from Kelty's website and there are scans of old Kelty catalogs.

http://www.weasel.com/gear_kelty_spectra.html

10:34 p.m. on August 11, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts
11:06 p.m. on August 11, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Hi, You probably know more about these packs than anyone except Kelty. There are always people looking for these things, so selling them, depending on price, shouldn't be a problem. I made my comment on the "on sale" because it wasn't clear how long ago you put that up-it looked to be a couple of years ago.

11:14 p.m. on August 11, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

All the packs that are listed as for sale on my main pack index page, right after "for sale" have a last updated date, most of which are July 2010.

On the history of the kelty spectra packs page, I copied their web page which said "for sale", and is indeed several years old.

3:12 a.m. on August 12, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Thanks Jeff. My Kelty is made from the same fabric as the non Spectra Mistral you have pictured. Mine has a big design flaw-the top pocket straps are poorly designed and it has only one center clip at the back, so the pocket slides around. Not sure what they were thinking. The front clips are weird too. Just a bad design all around for the top pocket, although the rest of the pack is pretty nice. I'm wearing it in my picture, although you can't tell much from the photo.

8:13 a.m. on August 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

The Mistral in my pictures is made of spectra. It is all white, with yellow trim.

Perhaps you meant the Whitney pack, which has spectra on one side, and 'spectrum' which is ripstop nylon with the grids made out of spectra on the other side?

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply