Five finger sandals

8:48 p.m. on August 8, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,297 forum posts

So do I understand right that one should get a pair of these one size larger than one wear to be comfortatble?

11:08 p.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,297 forum posts

No answers so I asked at REI and ordered myself a pair of these Multisports size 47, largest size they have. I like the open top better thatn the closed tops. Will give a review when I get and have worn them a while. Most people I have seen wearing them are satisfied with them. These look comfortable...

12:12 p.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts

Gary, this is another case of you have to try them on to see what the right size is. Plus, when you get used to wearing them (it takes a bit of getting used to), you may very well want a different size and style. Having the toes separated really bothers some people, while others (like me) find it very comfortable.

12:37 p.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,297 forum posts

Bill I have asked you before I am sure, but your profile image is that Antarctica? And whats on that sled behind you? How long was that trip, were you alone and take that shot with a tripod camera? Looks like fun?

1:03 p.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts

Gary,

Most of your questions are answered in this Trailspace article. One of my partners took the photo (Eiichi, I think).

1:18 p.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,297 forum posts

Wow! Very nice! Thanks

6:19 p.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,297 forum posts

I got my Five finger sandals today. I love 'em! I wore them for a quite a few hours today and they are great. I do notice my left foot is slightly longer than my left tho as my toes kept sliding out of place till i got the elastic upper adjusted right. But as far as fit I ordered them the largest they make at size 47. I wear size 12 shoe. 47 is like 12 1/2.

They are very comforatable and i think my next pair will have the upper part that goes up to the ankle. These would most likely slip of in heavy mud.

I often forgot I was wearing them! They are the one's in the image above.

7:46 p.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

made in the town I ghrew up in, thanks for the support!

I have been thinking of getting these for a while now, might grab a pair soon, they look real comfortable

7:58 p.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,505 forum posts

I think I would like these as well, I love going barefoot but the adult in me knows it isn't always safe, especially while walking in water near campsites. I'm thinking of areas popular with boaters, I often find broken glass or metal cans in the water.

Last week I hauled out a grocery sack full of them.

11:15 a.m. on August 15, 2010 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I really like these alot but my biggest worry is breaking a toe in the water when unintentionally playing soccer with a rock that I didn't see. I wear Teva Omniums now. Is this more of a problem being the toes are seperated?

7:54 p.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I don't know how much these things normally run.

Here is a link that has them for $34.95. It will change to something else soon because it is a time limited sale.

http://www.fruper.com/

2:05 p.m. on August 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

I actually work at REI and I can tell you a lot about these shoes.

As a general rule, the 5 fingers will run you no less than 75 dollars. I'm sure theres some illegitimate little corner of the internet that sells them for less but definitely not trustworthy. They don't tend to go on sale in recreation stores such as REI simply because the demand for them is so high. You could definitely wait it out for a coupon of some sort in order to get a discount but thats up to you.

As far as the breaking of the toe is concerned, that shouldn't be a problem. The toes remain regid because the vibram sole comes up and covers up to around the toe area so unless you walk super hard or enjoy kicking as you go, you'll be okay.

As far as debris is concerned, the vibram sole is very very sturdy. It would take an extremely sharp knife with a lot of force behind it to puncture it. Unless some kind of sharp object slipped in through the top (which is why I generally recommend the mesh covered version) or it punctures mesh around the sides nothing should hurt you.

Gary, I'm glad yours fit you well. As a rule, when we measure feet in the store we go up past whatever the longest toe is touching. That being said, we use centimeter measurements for these so if you toe was at 42 and a half, we would bump you up to a 43. Definitely something I would suggest either going into a store with the official Vibram measuring pad in or very carefully measuring at home.

As I'm sure you're all aware, the Vibrams take a little while to get adjusted to. Because it utilizes a totally different set of muscles than walking in padded, supportive shoes, many people complain about their feet or calves hurting after first usage. They are something I always tell people to ease into. Don't just get them and start trail running the next day. That being said, everyone is different and will acclimate differently.

My personal view on the Vibrams is that though being the latest and greatest fad, take caution when wearing them. It does train a whole new set of muscles than regular shoes do but that is not necessarily a good thing. For all we know, everyone who started wearing around the vibrams regularly could start having debilitating foot problems in a couple of years. Yes, we were all meant to naturally walk barefoot back before supportive footwear but also keep in mind that all the primative people who did so generally did not make it past the age of 25. I say this not to discourage anyone from trying them but rather as a word or forewarning.

2:46 p.m. on August 20, 2010 (EDT)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts

Good comments from Aaron.

I have had mine for several years now (I think I got them when they were first introduced to the US, maybe before). I find them quite good for frictioning on slabs in rock climbing, but way too painful in jam cracks and not very good on small edges. I do have to say that trout's worry about jamming the toe is justified. The soles are not rigid (part of the barefoot concept), so kicking something accidentally is close to kicking the same thing when barefoot. The soles are fairly good protection against bullthorns, though longer sharp thorns could very well penetrate. And I do find that when walking on broken rocks with sharp edges, I can definitely feel the sharp edges. They work great on the trails I hike, though since I am usually training for high altitudes and cold weather, I do need to train in the heavy mountaineering boots I will be climbing through the snow and ice (the Vibram Five Fingers provide little thermal insulation, especially on the top.

They have their place, and I do like mine for some uses. Oh, and I do go barefoot around the house and yard most of the time anyway.

5:42 p.m. on August 20, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I have been wearing my KSO Treks for a couple of months now. I didn't have any trouble getting used to them. Going back to regular shoes is a problem. I tried it the other day and there is a big difference between the feel of the shoe. I may be converted to treks forever.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply