Galibier Super Guide boots

8:04 p.m. on August 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

To all you Galibier boot owners:

I am wanting to replace my Meindl Super Perfekt boots and I was looking into the Galibier Super Guide.

Now, I am not a climber or anything, I am a "super hard on your boots" backpacker, heavy loads and I like a stiff and heavy boot.

My question is:
My Meindl boots, after about 6 months or so, had a nice "bend" to the toe box area, which it made it a lot nicer to walk in. I am wondering if the Galibier Super Guide boots will do the same after a while or are they plain and simple TOO STIFF and will never give any bend at all?

Thanks for the input!

C.

8:07 p.m. on August 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

FWIW

I just picked up a pair of Limmer Standard. I was looking into the Super Perfekt, but couldn't find a dealer stateside to try them on. I am extremely happy with the fit, quality of the boot, and especially the customer service.

Just my $.02

6:19 a.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
580 forum posts

I have never heard a bad word about the Super Guide, just tremendous praise from climbers.

This ad describes the shank of the SG - "full length fluted, spoon-shaped, tempered-steel shank". Great for kicking steps, but I don't see these soles bending much.

7:34 p.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Super Guides were really cool------in the 1970's.

They were designed as a mountaineering boot, not a hiking boot. I sold them during the 1970's and climbed and hiked in and out of mountains with them.

I think there are much better hiking boots available. Leather boots for mountaineering have been replaced by plastic boots that are lighter, warmer, and now cheaper.

You now have to buy Super Guides directly from France now, and if there is a warranty problem----good luck.

Here's a 1973 vintage Galibier ad.

7:57 p.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

Is there a website for these boots?

10:05 p.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

I worn these RD Super Guides last month during a climb of the North Sister, Oregon Cascades. As was mentioned by RiverRidgeRay, these are not hiking boots. Quite stiff. Great climbing boots, but not light, for sure.

12:57 p.m. on August 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for everyones input!

Well, I managed to find a pair from someone in ONtario that bought them in France a few years ago and never wore them. $100 plus shipping to Vancouver. Not bad I'd say :o)

I understand that these are very stiff, but that's what they told me when I bought my Meindl Super Perfekt. "They are definitely not for hiking" everyone said. Well, I used them even for short day hikes... :o) they had JUST enough give for me but if the Galibiers are completely immobile and have absolutely no give at the toe (which is my question at hand here) then for the price I paid, I'd have no worries passing them on.

I should be getting them by the end of next week!

9:00 p.m. on August 19, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

If, they are in "as new" condition, as all of my boots must have an orthopaedic lift added and this is difficult to do with boots that have "taken a set" and they FIT me, I would buy them for your cost. I had them in the early '70s and liked them verfy much, but, they are not a trail boot and really do not soften as Meindls will.

My e-mail is wodaxe@msn.com and give me your phone number in the e-mail and I will call at whatever time you indicate is convenient for you.

I have seen quite a few people buy heavy, stiff mountain boots scuh as these, original Scarpa Mantas and Val-d-Or Eiger Darbelles and then wear them once and never again. So, they may be more than you feel comfortable with and a lighter but still stiff Scarpa may well be a better choice for your needs.

3:25 p.m. on August 23, 2010 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

You are bringing back many memories with those boots.I climbed for years in Peutereys and Super Guides.They were the boot of choice in their day,iam now 59 and was in my early twentys to mid thirtys when using them.My first climbs in Alaska were in the Makalu.Very heavy booots but great for the times.With all the new boots of today there is no reason to wear so much weight on ones feet,just my opinion.ymmv

9:59 a.m. on August 24, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Well, I agree on the Makalu, a work of art, IMO and I currently have a pair of "as new" Peutereys which I found on this very site and love.

Much depends on one's personal uses, of course, but, coming down a steep mountain, no trail, Mystery Ranch NICE rig loaded with 20 lbs. of emergency and hunting gear and 50-60 lbs. of Elk quarter plus 8-9 lbs, of that which must never be mentioned on this forum lest panties become badly wadded, the stiff, stout Galibiers work like few other boots I have used. The support for my severely mangled right leg is what still allows me, at 64, to trek and pack stuff and that just does not happen with light, soft boots.

I wear nothing but hiking boots and long ago learned that light "wafflestompers", ( that will take you back to the '70s!) just do not work in BC mountains. A FGL, leather-lined and waxed stiff mountain boot will work in a broader range of conditions here than anything else and will keep me "truckin", when I must make it back to the truck, horse, boat or aircraft by a certain time.

So, as usual, it is all relative to what functions best in the ambient conditions you encounter. I would gladly buy a couple of more pairs of Peutereys and/or SGS or more of the similar Kastingers I have and save for serious treks.

4:24 p.m. on August 26, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,290 forum posts

If you liked the Meindl, i think they are still available from stores in Europe.

If the Galibiers don't work out, and you still want a full-grain leather hiking boot similar to the Meindl, think about the Alico New Guide or the Limmer Standard (the shelf model, not the custom) as alternatives. Meindl manufactures Limmer's off-the-shelf boots (using Limmer designs and lasts), FYI. The Limmer Standard is a great boot - the shank is hard plastic, not steel, so the sole does develop a limited degree of 'bend' as they break in.

10:26 p.m. on August 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

I love my Limmer Standars, bought them off the shelf not custom and they are tough boots. Been wearing them everyday, 5-6 dyas a week, for about a month now with no complaints.

1:50 p.m. on September 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I hope this isn't a violation of the forum protocol, but I just posted a pair of size 46 Super Guides in the classifieds.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply