Trekking watches - Suunto Vector vs Pathfinder?

2:05 p.m. on August 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Am interested in a watch with altimeter/barometer/thermomoter functions and have narrowed my search down to these two choices. Ease of use and reliability are key. Would appreciate any insight. Thanks!!

7:34 p.m. on August 19, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

Based on my experience with both Suunto and Casio watches, I would choose the Suunto over the Casio. But I would step up to the Suunto Core series, or the Timex Expedition WS-4. My Suunto X6 has served well for several years, which I would recommend, except that like all electronic widgets, it has been superseded by one of the Core series. The big gain of the Core is that you can download the info to your computer. The Timex WS-4 has a lot of useful functions, though I don't like the fact that you can not retrace all the "laps" in your progress - just the totals for the trek. The WS4 does display graphs of your progress, though.The Suuntos and Timexs are more dependable than the Casios I have had, plus the batteries are user-changeable on them.

I should ask, though - which Pathfinder? Casio has a whole series of them, ranging from the "atomic clock" version on down.

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply