Alcohol stove ideas

12:21 p.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

I have made a couple of stoves already with varying size and number of jet holes and so far they all will boil water in anywhere between 7 and 12 minutes. Has anyone had any luck in getting one to maintain a low enough temp to simmer without boiling?

12:48 p.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I haven't achieved that by stove design, but I have used a taller pot stand or heat diffuser plate below the pot. Of course you are technically wasting fuel that way.

You might try experimenting with a alcohol stove using a carbon felt wick burner, some designs are low temp and very efficient.

Take a look at the Mini Bongo from MiniBullDesign:

http://minibulldesigncult.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1663054

He also has videos on YouTube where you can see the stoves in action.

I don't have one of these yet, but I have three of his other stoves and they work as claimed.

12:51 p.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Here is a video of the aforementioned stove:

8:08 p.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I have a Trangia. It has a simmer ring that closes the opening at the top. With practice it works well.

9:12 a.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,297 forum posts

I was going to say take a look at the Trangia but Mike beat me to it. You can probally fashion something up based off that design.

9:38 a.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

The Trangia is a good stove and does simmer well. The penny stove is reported to be very good at simmering as well, I haven't made one myself. Both stoves are single batch fueled stoves and as long as your cook time doesn't exceed the fuel capacity they would both do fine.

If you intend to try baking or anything that takes a longer cook time, the remote fueled stoves work better for that.

The Trangia's ability to store unused fuel by screwing the cap on is a real strong point for me.

9:46 a.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Hey Trouthunter, I remember a post about a wood burner that you made. Could you post that for me again? As that would be great when Im in a area that I can burn wood in.

10:33 a.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try some out and let you all know how it works out.

Mike, here is a link to the wood burning stove thread.

12:08 p.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Ok after looking around a bit it seems simmering would be best achieved by using a wick or by non pressurized stoves. Another question, can there be too few holes on a pressurized stove to make it unsafe, or would the lack of many hole not heat it enough to cause enough pressure? I tried a 6 hole stove already but it will still full boil water so I'm not sure if less holes in a pressurized stove would be very likely to work. I'll have to play around with some ideas but any more thoughts are welcome and appreciated. :)

9:06 p.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Thanks for the link.

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply