Zipped top backpacks vs spindrift collars and flaps

7:45 p.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
108 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

I notice the abundance of newer day packs with zip closures rather than a traditional rucksack collar with a pull and the flap to go over it.

What is with that?

It seems to me to be a useless cap on the packs expansion, and to be begging for stressed and then broken zippers.

I think the minds that be have run out of productive ideas

1:35 p.m. on August 23, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,288 forum posts

Zip, drawstring (tie together, friction clamp, etc), snap, button, buckle (buckles that snap together, clip together, hook together, use friction, use holes in the strap, etc etc), and all sorts of closures (including open tops on pack baskets) have been around for centuries. Two of the day packs I use more or less regularly use zips (one I have used for close to 30 years). So I guess in your terms, new ideas for closures must have run out a century ago. Oh, and I forgot Velcro closures (hook and loop, to be generic).

Get whatever pack with whatever closure works best for your purposes and preferences.

6:38 p.m. on August 24, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

My little no name (literally) daypack has a zipper and it's about 25 years old. So did my old SD daypack before it. Zippers are nothing new. The retro style rucksacks have the leather straps and all that, but mine works just fine and I carry it somewhere almost every day.

Cheap zippers break, good ones don't, unless you really abuse them.

Some of the Ultralight packs don't have zippers; look at the Granite Gear line for example. That is more for weight than anything else-they don't have flaps either-just a drawstring (Vapor and Virga models).

1:39 a.m. on August 27, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Indeed- high quality #8 zippers weigh quite a bit compared to a draw string; make it a RiRi Aquazip or add waterproofing zipper taping and it'll weigh even more.

Quality zippers hold up pretty well. Well designed packs with zippers usually have compression straps over the zipper seam as well- Granite Gear, Osprey, etc- to help prevent zipper blowout, as unlikely as it is in the first place.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply