Coleman Max Micro stove

9:31 p.m. on August 24, 2010 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

So I have a Coleman Max backpacking stove that I got from wally world about a year ago. It has worked very well and is pretty light. The problem is that walmart has a hard time hanging onto the stoves and fuel, so I have had a hard time finding replacement fuel, since the canisters are one time use only.

I searched the internet relentlessly and found only 1 review that had the information I wanted: the stove can also take MSR gas canisters.

I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this stove and whether they have tried other gases with it. It has a traditional threading connection that screws into the canister, so maybe I should just see if it fits in the store??

Any help would be great, I'm leaving for a trip this friday afternoon to the presidentials in NH and only have about 20 minutes of gas left right now.

12:06 a.m. on August 25, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

iclimb,

That stove can use any gas canister that will screw onto your stove. I use what ever may be available at the time I need it, Here I can get Coleman from Walmart or MSR from Dick's. It seems like REI has Snowpeak and Brunton compressed canisters. My son has one of those Coleman max stoves from Walmart , he likes it a lot.

12:03 p.m. on August 25, 2010 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

thanks NChiker, that's very helpful - I have read also that MSR can fit the stove, so I will get that.

7:44 p.m. on August 25, 2010 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

I just went out and got a fuel canister for the stove - the JetBoil butane/propane winter mix. Set up the system on my deck, lit a match and bingo, perfect as always. For a $20 stove, this can't be beat really...especially since it is compatible with other canisters other than just Coleman's.

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply