Anyone Using the 3L Osprey Hydraform Reservoir?

2:29 p.m. on August 25, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I just purchased an Exos 46 pack today. I liked the idea of going with the formed 3L bladder for it. I read a number of reviews yesterday and it looks like there are some leak issues with the bladder. Osprey even has a return form on their website for it.

I went ahead and got the reservoir. Guess I'll find out how mine works. Anyone using it yet? Any leaks?

4:21 p.m. on August 25, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I found the following statement @ backcountry.com. The poster's name was Tom Gordon.

To anyone who’s experienced a problem with a leaking Osprey Hydraform Res: The framesheet that Osprey sews onto the back of their reservoir represents an enormous improvement in the stability, convenience and elimination of "bubble back syndrome" that has plagued hydration reservoirs since their inception. Having said that, this innovative design also presented Osprey with some manufacturing challenges. Osprey has found a very small number of reservoirs that leak from the perimeter where the framesheet is sewn to the reservoir. The number totals less than 1/2 of 1%. Unfortunately, that doesn't help you at the trailhead when you are among that small minority! Should you find yourself in that select group, please contact Osprey immediately: http://www.ospreypacks.com/HydraFormReservoirWarrantyClaimFo

rm or by phone at: 866-284-7830. Osprey will handle the replacement of your reservoir as quickly as humanly possible.
One final note: Osprey recognized this problem and has set in place a quality assurance procedure to eliminate if from future production. The current risk of receiving a Hydraform reservoir that leaks is very remote...something like 1 in 300-400. Pretty good odds if you're looking for the most comfortable and easy to use hydration system in the world. Still not good enough, however...Rest assured that Osprey will not be satisfied until the leakage problem is completely eliminated. We apologize to the few but understandably disappointed and vocal customers who've experienced a leaking bladder (Hydraform that is!) We pledge to make it right!

I plan on testing mine tomorrow.

Added to original post.

Went ahead and filled it up to the brim and have in hanging from a clothes hanger. I've squeezed it a number of times to put pressure on the system. It's holding up just fine.

I love the shape of this reservoir. It's so easy to slide in and out of my pack.

randy

10:21 a.m. on September 3, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

I've actually completely switched over to the Osprey hydration system as a whole. After years of Camelbak use, I just find them to be more comfortable overall and easier to use. Literally everything about them is better in my opinion. They use the same bite valve technology, and they come with a locking system on the bite piece that Camelbak makes you pay 6 extra dollars for now (the hydrolock). I hope that you enjoy your new Osprey and hope that it is not one of that remote few percentage that happened to leak!

10:32 a.m. on September 3, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Was beginning to think no used the Osprey Hydraform. Good to hear you have enjoyed yours.

I'm very pleased with the system. It's easy to load and unload in the pack. I like the locking bite valve.

Left mine hanging for 24 hours. Even put quite a bit of pressure on it to force the issue. No leaks.

randy

5:17 a.m. on September 5, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

I have an MSR 3L bladder (which I never seem to see in the stores or online anymore) and am hoping to use it if I take the plunge into the world of internal frame packs with an Osprey....

Hopefully it will fit and work out OK ...

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply